on 1 August 2012
I recently bought Turtle Beach PX21s having previously used an audiophile Hi Fi system for gaming. The addition of the Recon 3D increased the soundstage dramatically with more detail and separation, both in games such as MW3, Bad Company 2 and also movies. Using the Recon 3D with Shure earbuds also showed a great improvement. For a bit more than the price of a PS3 game it certainly has made my movie watching and gaming a much more immersive experience. Highly recommended.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 17 March 2012
One Of the great product i ever bought from amazon .there is no words in my pocket to describe about this item .This is Totally awesome.
on 9 January 2013
All I can say is when it worked it provided a good quality sound but it was temperamental and finally stopped working and I returned it for a refund
on 26 May 2012
Myself a big music enthusiast and 3D shooter maniac, playing usually on a laptop, it has been quite essential to get a sound card that was capable of providing a good 3D sound. Three years ago I bought the Sound Blaster X-FI USB and a year later the Sound Blaster X-Fi Notebook Sound Card and now the Recon3D USB.

My impression is that the 3D sound provided by the Sound Blaster X-Fi has been superior in most games I have played in the past. In Games like Deus X, Battlefield 2142, Battlefield Bad Company, Battlefield 3 the distance transition as well as the allocation of direction works much more smoothly then with the Recon3D. The reason for that is possibly that Recon3D only uses the Dolby Digital standard whereas X-Fi communicates with Microsoft Direct X through EAX and DirectSound3D.

The scout mode feels like an equalizer reduction of low and high pitch sounds and makes games sound very dull - no fun using it. The THX mode is the opposite, I am sure you can have that same sound feel by adjusting your equalizer provided with almost any sound card. The 3D feel like in a cinema THX sound demo is not going to happen, don't be disappointed.

The only advantage I noticed with the Recon3D is the negligible CPU usage (0-2%) compared with the X-Fi Sound card (up to 12-25%) and X-Fi USB (14-17%)

It might be a cool gadget for headphone users if you have a PlayStation or X-Box but I would not recommend it for PC users.
One person found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 19 November 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having previously been using my motherboards on-board sound I had gotten used to how it sounded and didn't realise that I was missing out in any way!

The Recon3D is a doddle to set up, and will work even without any drivers if that's your thing. Simple plug one end of the supplied USB cable into a free USB port on you PC and the other into the Recon3D, then plug your headphones or speakers into the Recon3D... all done. Yes, it really is that simple, but the difference was amazing! The sound is much richer and full bodied that what my motherboard was capable of. I installed the drivers and I was then able to tweak the settings of such things as Surround, Crystalizer, Bass, Smart Volume and Dialog Plus. These all help get the best quality from what you are listening too, as does the graphic equalizer and the various other settings available. You can also plug a microphone in and use the CrystalVoice settings to either clear up any distortion or to alter your voice to sound like someone or something else. Options include sounding like the opposite sex, a robot, elderly, an Elf, etc.

There is also a "Scout Mode" which is designed to hillight the sounds of any enemies creeping up on you from behind so you are well prepared for them. I found this a little bit hit and miss but then I only tried it with some game demos so you may have much better results than me....

Once you have got your settings just how you like them you can export them to the Recon3D and they will go wherever you go, as well as no longer needing the Software running in memory all the time. Most of the functions can be controlled via buttons on the Recon3D itself.

Another advantage is it takes some pressure off of the CPU in your PC if you were previously using a motherboard based sound system.

As for it's physical properties, it feels well built, is about the size of a large PC Mouse, has none slip feet and emits a blue glow when in use.

You also get Creative WaveStudio 7 Audio Editor, and Creative Alchemy which can restore hardware accelerated audio to games.

I thoroughly recommend it to anyone still using their motherboards built in sound, or if you have a laptop and again want to improve significantly on it's on board sound, it's small enough to fit in a laptop bag.

As I only have a PC I can't tell you how it sounds when used with a console, but I'm sure it is as great as when on a PC.

NOTES
=====
One Caveat is that it only supports Stereo (2 speaker) output so is no good if you have a 5.1 speaker system, for example.

The Recon 3D supports:
* PC/Mac/XBOX 360/PS3

It comes with:
1 x optical S/PDIF cable
1 x micro-USB to USB
1 x Console Break-out box & cables (Gamepad, Mic, Headphones).
1 x XBOX 360 Stereo cable
1 x Driver/Software CD
1 x Quick Start Guide
1 x Support document

WARNING
=======
This does not come with the Wireless headset adapter and it can not be bought separately. If you want to use a Creative Wireless Headset then you MUST buy the bundled version: Creative Soundblaster Recon3D Omega Wireless Gaming Headset for Xbox 360/PS3/PC/MAC.
7 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 25 November 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The name Sound Blaster has been associated with top quality PC audio for a long time, and this Recon3D external sound card aims to extend that reputation further.

The idea is that you can use it to enhance your gaming experience, as this device is designed to give you a more three dimensional experience. It's designed to work with headphones, so to an extent, you need a decent headset too, otherwise you won't get the benefit. It doesn't rely on headphones completely, but the name "Recon" suggests "First Person Shooter" combined with the latest development of being able to chat in real time to your virtual team mates over the internet.

So, you get the device itself, about the size of a PC mouse, but more solid and weighty. There are connectors to set you up with a PC, MAC, XBox and Playstation, though I imagine you could only use one at a time.

It'll actually "Plug and Play" on a PC, although there is software on a CD that will enhance your experience yet further, to the point it will let you change your voice pattern as it goes out to the internet. I couldn't get it to plug and play on the Mac. It also is not compatible with Windows XP.

In terms of pure audio quality, this is far superior to the sound card in my laptop. The THX sound is particularly immersive, and the device has its own volume control and mute button, which is handy. The Scout mode is, I presume, designed to promote sounds in a silent environment, but I'm not convinced I could tell the difference. Perhaps that is because I am not a hardcore gamer, and I am not used to the little details that this might bring out. I wonder whether a proper gamer would get more from this, although a proper gamer might not want to worry about what audio mode they are in.

I don't have an Xbox or PS3 to test with at this stage.

Whilst it is clearly a very good sound card, I wonder whether casual gamers will notice its benefits, and I wonder why hardcore gamers would invest, as they will already have a top quality sound card anyway.
3 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 19 April 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I use this sound card with my HP desktop and think it is excellent for music. Although it is especially marketed at avid gamers in order to improve in game effects and sounds when used with a pair of headphones, I have discovered that this works well when used with music and a set of PC speakers connected to the headphone socket.

The Sound Blaster is powered by the USB connection which also feeds the sound when the drivers are installed (this was all automatic on my Windows 7 PC) so no external adapters are needed. I also connected my TV via the optical connection (cable included) and this fed the TV audio through the speakers quite nicely.

The control panel software included allows you to customize just about every option you could imagine concerned with the sound it produces - I particularly liked the presets as whichever one selected it produced a nice sound, but I have one or two favorites.

Of course relating to the devices primary function it is intended to be used with either a Xbox or PS3 connection and the switch on the side allows you to switch between these two and also the PC mode. Adapters are included to allow you to connect all this up for the mic and headset connections. If the improvements this device made to my music experience is anything to go by, I would be impressed with what it can do to games. Unfortunately I do not have the facilities to test.

The device itself is well built and lights up with nice blue LEDs in order to show that it has power and which state it is in. It uses THX technology which works great at improving sound in music and movies and a 'scout mode' which when activated would really bring games to life, allowing you to hear every detail including which direction enemies were coming towards you.

My onboard Realtex sound card was nothing special so this Creative device has been a good addition to my PC's sound and I'm confident it would improve a games console sound in much the same way. Highly recommended.
One person found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 15 March 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I play a lot of online games on my PS3 & this is a great addition to the gaming experience.

It is very simple to set up so you will be up & running in no time. I thought it wouldn't add much to my games but you do hear things you didn't normally pick up on. This can be a huge advantage in a game like Call of Duty where you can hear your enemy before you normally would.

I wouldn't get this if you are just a music lover, it is more for the gamers than anything.
2 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 2 December 2011
Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D External Sound Card

Right ill start with the seller they are tops buy with confidence, this item is the best thing I bought in a long long time, I hooked it up to my pc its so simple and my head phones are the creative soud blaster sigma, yes the sound is great better than my sound card in my pc, then I hooked it up to my xbox I was worried that the lead was going to be to short for my head phones and mic to connect to the unit so I bought some extension leads, well I must say I wasted my money the cable suppled must be at least two meters long so I had no problems, you also get a optical cable to connect to the unit strait into your xbox to give you 5.1 sound and yes the sound I reconmend just buying the C.S.B sigma headphones I was going to buy the wireless omega ones but im glad I never I dont think the sound would be any better and plus you will have to keep charging them, anyway I put on battlefield 3 and got strait online, boooommmm the sound hit me WOW bullets was wizzing past my head bombs was going off it was strait up war the sound is AMAZING I said to myself its two real the sounds come from everywhere and the sniper fire learny stopped my heart like I been shot I almost pooed my pants LOL guys take my word for it its superb go and buy now worth every penny I cant do this review justice thank you creative im out....
2 people found this helpful
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 24 January 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is great as an external amp for laptops. Used with a set of headphones - I used a set of Panasonic RP-HTX7 stereo headphones - it makes gaming, listening to your music and watching films a much better experience, every note or sound is much clearer than before. Its compact design means that it is easy to carry around with your laptop and it's very easy to set up - just plug in the USB cable and the headphones cable and your done. The software supplied enables you to tweak the audio to your own preferences and the cables supplied allow connection to a variety of devices. I don't play online games so I cannot comment on this aspect but I would imagine that this device would certainly dramatically improve that experience as well.