Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 December 2008
What you can learn from buying this book is that being lazy and buying books like this won't make you a web site.
The only useful thing from this book is that it hints about the existence of a free Web design program called SeaMonkey. Now, if I had bothered myself to search Google with the words "free web design program" I could have learned this fact for free.
Anyway, the book starts promising - you type some text and then change some words to italic and bold, and also you learn how to change the colour of the text. Wow! Divine knowledge.
Then, for some reason, the author assumes that one page of boring text on white background (just like a MS Word page) with some words made italic and some bold, is fine enough for a web page and proceeds with the publish lesson. Or maybe he got bored and decided to skip a rather large portion of information.
In the next chapter you learn that the there exist things like web-hosting companies, (which may come as a total shock to you) and these companies will host your site for a small amount of money. Seriously, at some point I expected to see entire chapter explaining that there exist such thing called Internet.
So, the publish lesson ends quite quickly on page 43 and the author is now free from the burden of explaining how to create your own web site - something I think he also hasn't quite mastered. But he still has 205 pages to fill. So what does he do? He goes on explaining how to register in the most popular Web sites, like MySpace, YouTube and Facebook and how to use free services like blogs, photo libraries and EBay stores. Yes, you heard right - he made a book about creating an account at and using these sites. I didn't know whether I should laugh or get angry.
Nice job, Scott Mitchell, I bet you're laughing all the way to the bank - after all even I, who consider myself smart enough not to fall into such traps, bought your book.
In conclusion - this book maybe very useful to you, if you are someone who compares signing up at a popular web sites to quantum physics, or if you are the sort of person who needs a book on how to use a fork and a spoon when you eat.
One star, for hinting about the SeaMonkey program.
on 14 December 2012
I bought this as an absolute beginner to website creation with a view to setting one up for a society I belong to. This book looked very promising and encouraged me to install Seamonkey on my computer (I got the most recent version from Mozilla not the older one on the supplied disc). I am happy with that. The book's blurb says "use these templates to build Family sites, Hobby sites, Community sites .." but the only useful template provided is geared to a Family site. I loaded this and started to customise it but then had a peep at the HTML code: it was evident that although I had changed the page heading the page title, which is not seen on screen, was still "Mitchell Family Website". From my other reading I gather this is what search engines will find so the site won't generate much traffic. Maybe there are a lot of websites out there all called "Mitchell Family.."
on 24 November 2008
This book was what got me into website design and development about five years ago. Its easy to use and read and the free software is a great start to building - although the software is free anyway from Mozilla. Some people, like me when I bought this book, don't want to mess about learning to code in order to create a cheap and cheerful website and its great for that. Only for REAL beginners but detailed enough to lead me onto coding as a career ironically enough. Also has a good chapter on Paypal Intergration which means this book has the potential to give anyone the tools to create their own on-line business. It would get four stars but gets five for nostalgic value.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 October 2008
The computer really has changed our lives. It seems like everyone is hooked up to the Internet. Today, most businesses have websites and a growing number of people are joining social networking sites like MySpace and Facebook.

Getting your own website, setting up a blog, or sharing your pictures on Snapfish might sound rather overwhelming if you aren't very computer savvy. Fortunately, Create Your Own Website can take you through the options, help you select something that suits your needs, and then help you build a website, register with Ebay, or get a Facebook account.

Of course, there are plenty of beginner create a website books on the market. However, most assume that you'll want to build a website from scratch using html. Not everyone wants or needs to do so. Create Your Own Website provides options, and a CD with the simple to use SeaMonkey's web building software.