Crafting the Culture and History of French Chocolate Paperback – 22 Sep 2000
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"Has so far flown under the radar screens of most foodies and deserves a much wider audience. Available in paperback, Terrio's fascinating cultural study of Gallic chocolate and chocolatiers wades through hype and the politics of perception, unintentionally revealing numerous implications for the nascent craft of American chocolate-making in the process."--"Food Arts magazine
From the Inside Flap
This book on the crafting of chocolate in contemporary France is itself delicious. It will be a classic of French ethnography and contribute in important ways to the ongoing debate about the role of national identity in the European Union."Carole L. Crumley, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
"A real pathbreaker. The intensity of Terrio's engagement with her respondents shines from almost every page. The work contributes to our understanding of the politics of heritage. . . . It is a thoroughly researched and descriptively rich analysis of how anthropologists can approach weighty problems of identity, national-local relations, and the ideology of self and other."Michael Herzfeld, author of "Portrait of a Greek Imagination""
Top Customer Reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Biographies & Histories > Business & Economic History
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Economics
- Books > Food & Drink > National & International Cookery > French
- Books > Food & Drink > Reference & Gastronomy > Gastronomy
- Books > Food & Drink > Reference & Gastronomy > History of Food
- Books > History > Cultural History
- Books > Science & Nature > Food & Farming > Food Science
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Academic Sociology
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Anthropology > Social & Cultural
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Sociology