- Also check our best rated Biography reviews
The Courtship of Robert Browning and Elizabeth Barrett Hardcover – 1 Nov 1999
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
'This book is a fascinating, witty and most intelligent account of one of the greatest Victorian romances of literary history as seen through these letters.' Cape Argus
'a correspondence virtually unique in literature' Irish Times
Throughout, Karlin provides stimulating insights to the self-dividedness of Browning's speakers and, more disturbingly, Browning himself... As a biographer, editor, and critic of Browing, aniel Karlin writes with rare authority, scholarship, and critical acumen. Piping hot with freshness and originality, his analyses of the poetry never fail to illuminate the texts from the inside out. Much of the persuasiveness of Karlin's criticism arises from his integrating it stylishly and sensitively with quotations from Browning's letters, and his book is an excellent example not only of how scholarly editions of letters can be used as tools for criticisms but also of how the best criticism arises, so often, from documentary sources. (MLR 91:1)
About the Author
Daniel Carlin is Lecturer in the Department of English Language and Literature, University College, London --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Novelists, Poets & Playwrights
- Books > Biography > Political > Britain
- Books > Biography > Social & Health Issues > Family & Marriage
- Books > Poetry, Drama & Criticism > History & Criticism > Poetry & Poets
- Books > Poetry, Drama & Criticism > Poetry > By Period > 19th Century
- Books > Poetry, Drama & Criticism > Poetry > World > British
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Government & Politics > International Relations