on 1 June 2013
Had depression for some years now, sadly, just had another 'dark cloud' hang over me for a while. However, thanks to some excellent counselling I am feeling so much better. My counsellor advised it may be of some benefit to obtain this book from the local library, tried but they had a long waiting list.
Ordered form Amazon yesterday, sat and read it earlier today, only circa 150 pages.
If you think you are depressed or someone you know and care about may be depressed, this is an excellent way of explaining what counselling can do and what people can actually do for themselves.
It is presented in a totally uncomplicated way, set amongst the classic tale 'Wind in the Willows' that most people are familiar with, not to worry if you are not, it works with or without previous knowledge.
It provides a really easy way to recognise both a person suffering from depression (in this case, myself) and their friends and close family describing how they can react to someone close becoming unwell.
I will continually recommend this book to any and all depressives out there,what do you have to lose within it's 150 pages it may enlighten, educate and enable you to start on that road to recovery, get well soon and I hope you find happiness.
on 23 November 2013
This was a very enjoyable book (kindle version) to read. It paces the reader gently through the steps and frees the reader to take a disassociated or an associated personal view of each development phase. I found it respectful of Toad whilst providing Toad the space for self-reflection and again the option to decide and/or realise the role he's played in his life. I found myself wanting ø read more and more each day, however also wanting to allow myself to integrate the information and thus spreading-out the reading of each chapter. Very enjoyable and respectful to all.
on 1 September 2012
I've been looking into training to become a counsellor for a little while now and was recommended this book through another author. I've never approached Transactional Analysis before, but this was the perfect introduction. If only every style of counselling could be written about in this way!

The book is very informative and I actually learned a lot about myself through reading the book. It is very easy to read and humorous. De Board uses the original 'Wind in the Willows' story very cleverly and it really was a pleasure to read. I know I'll read it again and again, and it has furthered my interest in training to become a counsellor. A must-read for anyone in counselling or who'd simply like to get to know themselves and others a little bit better!
on 7 April 2017
I was a little hesitant about reading this book on the recommendation of someone I know. I thought it would be a poor reinterpretation of the original Kenneth Grahame characters instead it was inspired. The retelling of Toad's life, his hopes, failures and getting to the heart of understanding of Toad as well as seeing a very snide Mole was excellent. Enjoy!
on 14 June 2017
Absolutely wonderful! Had to read Wind in the willows again. I would recommend it to all counsellors and therapists. Stirring stuff. A jolly good read!
Aspirations of characters portrayed. Marvellous!!
on 18 March 2011
In the same vein as Benjamin Hoff's "The Tao of Pooh", this delightful book uses characters from children's literature to explore altogether more adult themes. Toad is the ideal candidate for therapeutic help, and de Board uses dialogue and internal exploration to lay out the principles of a good counselling relationship, and Transactional Analysis in particular. Never child-like in tone, it is both wise and - as the reader follows Toad's emotional journey - rather affecting.
on 9 April 2017
An excellent self help book following Mr Toad and the different approaches his friends try to support him.
on 3 January 2015
This is a fantastic book. It breaks down the cognetic theory in a way that is easy to understand and allows the reader a clear insight into how ordinary events in our life affect our way of thinking and dealing with life. Highly recommended.
on 6 July 2017
I found the voice/ tone of Toad a bit irritating and just couldn't get into the story...
on 31 July 2017
Very insightful as guidance for someone trying to support another with depression.