Customer reviews

on 4 July 2011
I got this book after reading a small review of it in Focus Magazine, and I have to say that I'm pretty pleased I did.

It is a nice looking book, and it has some lovely images, some very familiar, others not. On every double page, one page is a full size picture of something (eg Jupiter) and on the opposite there is a short description of the planet, below that there is a smaller picture of a close-up image of the planet, and then a further explanation as to what you are being shown. There are some lovely facts in there, some notes assume the reader to have more pre-knowledge of the planet/nebula and other notes I felt were a bit too brief and I was left wanting to know more, but that's ok, the book isn't an in-depth description of everything, but it does offer some intersting facts that I didn't know.

The first part of the book focuses on our solar system, it looks at the moon, the sun, some planets (venus, jupiter and saturn among them) and a few moons, particualrly that of jupiter and saturn. It then expands and looks at a few nebulae like the famous Eagle Nebula and zooms into several focal points such as 'the pillars of creation' and explains that it is believed that stars are being created. It also gives dimensions of the cloe-ups which is really interesting.

It also looks at galaxies and stars. One interesting page is an image of a star being born, it explains that the event is billions of years old, and also shows a picture of the 'light echoes' of the star reflecting off the inter-stellar medium which reached our view after the initial burst and the image is ghostly and very fascinatinng.

I don't know how this book compares with others such as the Hubble image book, but I went with this one and I'm very happy. There are some images that I hoped to have seen but I think it gives a good cross section of what scientist observe from their telescopes and I am pleased with this purchase.
on 13 July 2012
This book is now well read. it contains lots of facts and details and was well worth the buy. A good book to add to my library of 'space' books