Customer reviews

Cosmic Egg [VINYL]
Format: Vinyl|Change

on 26 January 2016
The one man band of andrew stockdale , but absolutely brilliant sound .
on 18 July 2017
Good album, I think it melted my face.
Why aren't you listening to it now you fool.
on 17 September 2015
ok
on 15 November 2009
Despite all the difficulties surrounding that notorious 'second album', Wolfmother have gone and made a very strong album, which may be a surprise to those (including me!) who thought that they'd struggle to reach the heights of their excellent debut, particularly with a new line-up too. Yet while Cosmic Egg doesn't entirely match those heights, it is a remarkably strong effort, an impression that grows after repeated listens; admittedly I was unsatisfoed on first hearing the album.
To put it plainly, if you like Wolfmother, you will thoroughly enjoy this album. This is partly due to the fact that, despite the aformentioned line-up change, the key piece of the jigsaw remains: Andrew Stockdale. Wolfmother just wouldn't be the same without his potent vocals. It is an album full of the riffs and distinctive vocals that we have come to expect from the band, and although you might expect this heavy style to become a little tiring after 12 tracks, there is enough ingenuity to maintain the listeners' interest, which is certainly aided by quieter songs, such as 'In the Morning' and 'Far Away'. Other highlights are 'California Queen', Sundial', '10,000 Feet' and 'Cosmic Egg'.
Finally, this isn't a review that simply compares Wolfmother to a host of old bands - is it just me who finds these relentless comparisons somewhat tiresome? They are there own band, and deserve credit for adopting their own style, which, after producing an album of this quality, they clearly have in abundance.
review image
on 25 October 2015
some good tracks,some excellent riffs,too much 70's influence.
on 18 November 2009
We're all aware of the Sabbath/Zeppelin comparisons and I'm willing to push one step further to state that this album is a satisfying delight comparable to the classic 'Physical Graffiti'.

On first hearing 'Cosmic egg' I was deeply disappointed and wondered whether the schism in the band had led to their downfall. However, repeated listening will reward the rock fan a thousandfold until you come to realise just what a work of genius this album really is. Which is precisely how I view 'Phsyical Graffiti', an album I've worshipped for decades.

In fact '10,000 feet' could be regarded as the grandson of 'Kashmir' with its swirling, surging form. Close your eyes and you can just picture Robert Plant there leading the charge.

This is definitely NOT to decry Wolfmother as mere Led Zeppelin copyists - far from it. They're a brilliant original band in their own right, a very welcome slap in the face to pop pretenders masquerading as rock bands (yes, that means you MCR and 'Fall out boy).

'Cosmic egg' bows out on not just one high but two: the bombastic 'Phoenix' followed by the absolutely mesmerising epic 'Violence of the sun'. The album is worth getting just for these two tracks alone.
on 22 December 2009
When wolfmother broke up last year I thought all was lost, but I was overjoyed when i heard they had reformed :) The new album is amazing in several ways: Firstly, the return of the catchy riffages we all grew to love from the first album, the soaring vocals from andrew stockdale (Robert Plant/ Ozzy Osbourne esque.), and the loud prominent bass lines. I really enjoyed Cosmic Egg, with Caroline being my top track. It is a must have album for all wolfmother fans and people who just want to have a hard rocking album. 5 stars all round :) Buy it! You wont regret it.
on 28 October 2009
To be honest I didn't think a lot of this album upon the first few listens but I stuck with it and now it's on constant repeat.
The more you listen to it the better it gets. In fact, I'd go as far to say that it's a better album than their first.
Don't give up on it too early and you will be rewarded.
on 20 August 2013
I'm very happy to rate products that I have purchased through Amazon. I will rate as agreed via the star rating and will rate according to the cost, the availability, the value for money and the overall value of the product. I will not however write a review, the star rating is I feel perfectly adequate for the purpose of identifying value for money and good companies to deal with through Amazon.
on 16 May 2011
I reviewed their first album the summer it was released, and I have to say that the main review for this one is ultimately trollish and unfair. Yeah, duh, Andrew is fixated on 70's rock aka Sabbath/Zeppelin. So what's the problem? New Moon Rising, the single, is an absolute masterpiece, the entire song structure flawless, and image wise, the video, also quite cool and yeah, we like you andrew with that crazy curly hair and strokes-like style. Eurovision, it ain't. Thankfully.

And who doesn't miss the chance to knock Australia. I mean, I'll be the first to take my hat off and admit that they are great at making horror flicks (braindead is my all time fave, hilarious), the best in the biz in horror, but rock n roll? Bar ACDC which was half a century ago, there's been slim pickings round the outback, no offence kylie, so let's give some credit to andrew and company for putting OZ on the rock n' roll map

Wolfmum, you ROCK, retro or not, and you're up there with the best of em from england and the states. Amazing single, and yeah, the other tracks catch you up as well.

Can't wait for the next album, and really, shouldn't it be out soon given this one was back in 2009? Shame on me for only just discovering it, but that's old age for you.