The Corset: A Cultural History Paperback – 4 Feb 2003
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"This is cultural scholarship and social history at its absolute best."
"The Corset is at once couture eye candy and intellectually enlightening."
"Obligatory reading for fashion historians."
About the Author
Valerie Steele is chief curator and acting director, The Museum at the Fashion Institute of Technology, State University of New York. Among her many publications are Fifty Years of Fashion (ISBN 0 300 08738 1, pb. [pound]15.00*), Fashion Italian Style (forthcoming, ISBN 0 300 10014 0, [pound]25.00*), and China Chic: East Meets West (with John S. Major) (ISBN 0 300 07930 3, [pound]35.00*), all published by Yale University Press. She is also editor of Fashion Theory: The Journal of Dress, Body & Culture.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
None of this detracts from a brilliant review of the corset and its role in fashion history, in social movements, and in the development of erotic sensibility in the species. The illustrations are wonderful, the development of fashion styles and figure modification, the acknowledgment of different lifestyles: all are presented with clarity and explanations. There are some big corset-names under-represented even if mentioned such as Menton, Mrs Cayne, Iris Norris, Gardner & Sons, Michael Garrod. Even so, it is a most valuable text and entertaining also.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
The author knows the subject and is well written with a lot of images. Corsets are not necessarrily instruments of torture, he says. Well, for some, maybe. Read morePublished 12 months ago by Hiroko Takai
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Design Studies > Fashion
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Print & Decorative Arts > Textiles
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Women & Art
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Beauty & Fashion
- Books > History > Cultural History
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Academic Sociology
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Communication Studies > Media & Communication Industries > Press & Journalism
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Cultural Studies
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Sociology