on 5 January 2009
I owned a Corsair Flash Voyager. One of the great things about any flash memory drive is that you can unplug it, transport it easily, and plug it in to a different computer taking your data with you. Incredible then that Corsair have designed a Voyager that is not fit for repeated use. Sure it looks tough and may be difficult to damage by squashing or smashing but this product can be damaged through normal use!! When you have another USB attachment plugged in next to or above the flash voyager it pushes against the Voyager putting strain on the internal components. A year after purchasing my Flash Voyager the USB connector became wobbly and I lost all my data very soon after. We cut off the rubber casing round the outside to investigate what had happened and found that the rubber is protecting a very flimsy design. The only thing connecting the USB connector to the internal parts with my data on was three very thin and tiny strips of metal. Every time I pulled the Voyager out of my computer or inserted it next to another USB, pressure was put on those three metal strips and in some cases the rubber casing on the outside made this situation worse. I will never again trust Corsair's claims of durability when so little thought was put towards the use a Flash drive is intended for - and the products durability in THAT context as opposed to whether or not the data will be lost if the product is exposed to water or run over by a car.
1818 comments| 137 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 September 2007
I carry a USB memory stick wherever I go on my car keyrings. I've been through a few plastic 1-2GB sticks that cost usually around £15. They usually break. So anyway, myu recent 4GB £20 one snapped and I was gutted.

I needed another so I looked around and found this 'rugged' 'hardwearing' one. I took a chance and bought it. I received it today and I'm very impressed with the FULL hard rubber surroundings. The key ring space is flexible which is ideal when jingling around on my keyring.

Popped it into the USB slot and as per usual, XP picks it up with full speed USB 2.0 connectivity.

It is around the £50 which is expensive for a USB key, but the build quality is fab and get this!... It comes with 10 YEARS CORSAIR WARRANTY! which I'm loving :-D

BUY NOW!

02/02/08 - Just to update, I've now had this USB stick for 5 months and its still as brilliant and hardwearing. Its come down in price now so buy one :-)
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 25 December 2007
This USB stick does exactly what it says on the tin. It's fast, works straight from the box, and comes with a copy of some very good encryption software on the drive which you can optionally use if needed. So far, it's been fast, reliable, and problem free. After ordering this it arrived very quickly.
on 20 November 2008
I bought this memory stick 6 weeks ago. Two weeks ago I put it in my computer and when I wanted to pull it out again, I only held the rubber case in my hand, leaving the electronics bit in the USB port. It still works but now disintegrates frequently. I doubt that it is still "rugged, water and shock resistant"

Learning outcome:
a) do not pull out of the usb port by only touching the key ring rubber bit
b) probably don't buy it to start with
I love this! It's by far the best USB drive that I've owned. Its faster than any other USB drive that I've tried, reliable and tough. The only reason why I've given it 4 stars (instead of 5) is that the cap is black and I find it easy to mislay. I've finally got round this problem by putting a small hole in the top of the cap through which I've put a thread that I have then attached to the main body of the drive, but until I did that it I did have a couple of occasions when I had to do a major search to find the cap!! So a cap of a brigter colour, or one that could be attached to the main body would have made this a perfect 5 for me!
on 15 December 2008
Bought this item for my wife to put on her keyring as it looks rugged. Lasted about 2 months and now will not work. It has not been subject to any harsh treatment either. It was just on her set of keys which have never been wet etc. Nothing but Sandisk from now.
on 11 March 2008
Firstly, I have 3 of these and they all do exactly what they're supposed to.

Secondly, I lost one of them and found it 3 months later IN THE WASHING MACHINE!
And yes, due to the rubber casing it still works perfectly!

If that's not reason enough to buy this product I don't know what is!
There simply is no other USB drive that can compare.
If you're a student and rely on USB drives to bounce work back and forth from home and Uni, then the chances are you'll have gone through more drives than Tiger Woods has had golf balls. Go cheap and you get a cheap stick. The Flash Voyager is something of a mid-range product in my view.

I wouldn't argue that ten squid for an 8GB drive is excellent, but that isn't to say the product is perfect. For a start, the 'cap' which protects the actual USB connection is not attached to the device in order to prevent you from losing it. Naturally, you'll end up losing it if you're not careful, and once you do the idea of it being rugged is fairly absent. Whats more, I'm amazed at the sheer cheek to which Corsair can class this as being a protection when, upon opening up my own Flash Voyager, I discovered that the actual circuit board and memory banks were housed bare-bones. In other words, the rubber/silicone which you see in the picture is the only thing between your finger and 0's and 1's! There is not even a strip to re-enforce the stick and prevent it from being literally snapped.

However, I give the 4 product stars. Despite being rather deceptively marketed, it is indeed 'rugged', and following a sugar burst I threw the infernal device around a music studio, and was happy to see that it literally bounces around everywhere. Hooray! The rubber cap is also water "resistant", but again no more than the latter. Once the cap has been taken on and off over the period of a few months, it loosens up and I daren't test its water resistance.

In short, a nice little product that will easily protect your data during transits in messy bags and town-life, but don't be fooled into thinking its more than just a slab of rubber; It isn't!
on 12 May 2009
I bought my Corsair USB over a year ago and the metal part came undone from the rubber when removing it from the hardrive. Obviously I lost all my data. Unfortunately, it was passed the 1-year guarantee Amazon gives all its purchases. I therefore, tried to get in touch with Corsair by their website by e-mail but as yet had no response from them and to say that this product comes with a 10-year guarantee. It would be great if you could get in touch with them to have the USB replaced. I live in hope.
on 30 January 2014
This USB flash drive is well made, seems to be robust (it has a thick rubberised coating) and I have not had any issues with the data I’ve stored on it.

However, the rubberised coating does cause an issue because it makes the flash drive thick enough to partially obscure any adjacent USB ports (hence only 3 stars). So unless you need the additional protection afforded by the rubberised coating, I’d suggest buying a lower profile option, to avoid devices using adjacent USB ports fouling on each other.