on 12 April 2008
I was unsure about whether or not I should buy this book originally, but as I owned almost every other Spanish book Amazon has on offer already, I decided to give it a go. After all, I think building my language resource library has become an obsession in its own right.

I have been learning Spanish off and on over the past several years (more off than on, truth be told.) I have amassed quite a large library of Spanish language resources and this has turned out to be one of the best books if not THE best book I've bought. I am at an intermediate level in Spanish and have found this book has cleared up all (or at least many!) of those niggling little questions and doubts that I have found confusing in my studies. It has helped immensely with the subtleties of the language that none of my teachers or other learning resources have addressed, for example the negative connotation associated with placing a demonstrative after the noun as in:

La niña esta me está fastidiando. - This pesky little girl is annoying me.

The above is an example of one of the intricacies of the language that I have not seen addressed elsewhere and which I would not have known to take issue with before seeing it in this book. But this is just one example. I have found quite a few "aha!" moments, one or two on almost every other page, and while I have always enjoyed learning Spanish, this is the first Spanish learning text that I've been unable to put down.

I had intended to read a small section and then reflect on what I had learned, but I have found it so fascinating that I have not been able to help but to go onto each subsequent blunder and realize how many of them apply to me. I'm over half way through the book (having had it delivered 2 days ago) and I find myself picking it up in every spare moment. My plan now is to read through the whole of the book and then re-read it at a more leisurely pace. If there is a downside to this book, then it is only "information overload" as I try to take it all in at once.

I am surprised that I am the first reviewer of this book as I have found it to be such a great find! I heartily recommend it! I only wish I could find more books by this author that were geared towards the intermediate/advanced student of Spanish.
on 16 July 2009
An excellent book . Very clear layout and a well written concise text .
The 'blunders' sections are very useful tips IMO . Two ink colours are used to good effect . Best of all , many Spanish examples are accompanied by their English translations . These are laid out side-by side such that it is childsplay to cover-up either the Spanish or the English with a piece of card or a post-it note . Hence the examples turn into little self tests , with ease . A lot of the information is laid out in short lists or in tables : both are very well done IMO . Highly recommended . And - a bargain . The only change I would make would be to add an accompanying audio CD .
on 20 April 2009
I was really excited about this book, and took it along for my Spanish born, Spanish Teacher to peruse, only to be told that there are many mistakes in the instruction given. She has told me to use it sparingly as it it not 100% accurate.
on 3 December 2012
This little book corrects all the blunders you might make whilst learning Spanish and believe me there are many,so it's really handy to have.
on 20 February 2012
Knowing how contradictory Spanish can seem where there are so many cases of no hard and fast rules for even simple things, I was interested to see whether this in fact would help one to avoid blunders. My first blunder was to buy it without checking more fully. I should have looked at the publisher's name and I would have realised that this book is American! The Spanish is more oriented around Latin American Spanish than Spanish as in Spain, e.g. "carro" is the American Spanish word for 'car' whereas in Spain it is a 'cart or wagon' or 'shopping trolley' while "coche" is the word for 'car' here in Spain. So if you want Spanish for use in Spain buy and use with caution.
on 28 November 2013
Only gave it 3 stars as I didn't like the layout, but the information is there if you want to look for it.
on 3 June 2009
I recognise something of myself in the other reviewer who collects Spanish learning books, and bought this one on the strength of that review.
Well I agree that there are some 'aha moments' with explanations of things I had not found elsewhere, but based on the somewhat light-hearted appearance of this book I had actually bought it for my husband, who dips into this kind of book, but hasn't got the time for serious study. This is where the problem is - the book appears to be trying to present grammar in a kind of jokey way, and it doesn't work. Frankly it's really annoying, and every page contains boxes that draw the eye, full of incorrect grammar ('don't make the blunder...')
Seeing incorrect grammar in print isn't a good idea, especially for a learner, so whenever I look things up in this book (which I do), I have taken to covering the annoying pink boxes up.
I'm not sorry I bought it, but it would have been so much better if it just contained the good explanations, and no pink boxes full of errors you might never have thought of for yourself.
on 2 April 2015