on 8 June 2011
Just received my new copy of Cool Camping FRance and very pleased. I have used the first edition on two separate camping drives around FRance and never been disappointed. The mix is great, one day we were staying in a gypsy caravan in Burgandy and then the next in a campsite with awesome views of the Alps run by two couples from Darlington who came and delivered fresh croissants for breakfast. The reviewers put you in touch with the sites and the character's behind them which is a great way to make your final choice. We are off again this year to check out some of the new recommendations and I am sure we won't be disappointed. Thanks Cool Camping!
on 31 July 2012
We bought this book as we were planning a holiday which involved moving around France a lot and it seemed easier to use campsites that had already been reviewed and were being recommended. The book contains details of 100 sites located around France. There are some very pretty pictures and usually at least a page of text per site. In reality the campsites listed were not in the parts of France that we stayed and we found our campsites on-line. We stayed at one campsite from the book, which is in their selected top 5, however to our surpise we found this the most basic of all the sites we stayed. On review of the introduction the text clarifies 'We've visited 4-star sites that we chose not to include because the welcome was not personal enough...'

The book seems to focus on small campsites, and much of the information is regarding the owners, campsite chalets, caravans, and permanent tents. If you do not want to take your own equipment and you want to spend time speaking with the campsite owners this book will be useful for you. If like us you are interested in a campsite for camping with your own tent; only speak with reception when you check in; and are more interested in the number of shower blocks, whether there is a pool, bar or shop, my recomendation is to check one of the websites that carry approximate 3500 campsites. The book is not bad but just not as useful as I expected it to be.
on 10 June 2011
Used the first edition for holidays to France and opened up a whole new area of holidaying - not being much of a camper. Camping in SW France a highlight...even more choices in this latest edition. Love the photos too, roll on holiday planning.
Make a lovely present too.
on 22 December 2011
I took this guide with me when I went camping in France in late summer this year. I also took the Michelin guide. I found the Michelin guide comprehensive, with lots of sites included, so there was always a recommended site within a short drive. However, the sites recommended in the Cool Camping guide did tend to be smaller, better, friendlier sites and on the whole, we preferred the sites in the Cool Camping book and would be happy to go back to many of them (in fact, we are planning to return to Les Ormes next year). Having been camping in France a few times, I do think that French campsites can be a bit hit and miss, and many lack any kind of real personality and buzz. So having a slightly different 'Cool Camping' take on the whole thing is very welcome. But, unless you are planning to pick one campsite and stay there for the entire holiday, you do probably need to take another guide book too.
on 29 September 2011
This book purports to offer "cool" camping sites. The reality is that a number of the sites do not allow tents. If you are seeking decent camp sites in France, you need only look for Municipal sites (I have stayed at some really lovely municipal sites). If you are seeking something more up market, get the Michelin guide to camp sites. In the Michelin guide you will get a reasonable description together with GPS coordinates to make location simple.
on 1 March 2012
I came back to the Cool Camping series to give them a second chance. Unfortunately nothing has changed. France is probably one of the best countries in the world for a camping holiday. But if you relied on this selection you would have a very strange idea of what is on offer. It is patchy and unreliable. Yes its nice to read by the fire in the winter, but if you want a good selection of sites with accurate information, I would look elsewhere. A coffee table camping book.
on 6 November 2013
Brilliant little book. Used a couple of the campsites this summer and they were great. The campsites were exactly as described.
on 17 May 2013
When I received this book I was initially a bit disappointed. Most sites mentioned here seemed to be inland and not in the areas I was interested in. But having spent some time with it I absolutely love it. The sites inland are incredibly tempting too especially if there are streams or rivers nearby. I did not want a listing of sites but something to woo and wow me. The photos are stunning, descriptions interesting and they give you a feel of each place. Yes, the amount of text means that the number of sites is quite limited but for me it is a great start. I can't wait. My only worry is that as a result some of these sites have now become much more popular and increased their fees considerably. It would be great to have a whole series with each book covering a different region of France. Surely, with such a vast number of sites there are hundreds more that are worth recommending.
on 9 January 2012
We used this book twice, went to sites in the Pyrenees that I'd never have found otherwise and also to others offering what Cool Camping seem to be about: little noise, few if no white mobile homes and beautiful surroundings or views. This is probably a guide more suited to my generation (somewhere between X and Y!) than maturer campers or ones less used to, say, boutique festivals (the link being that the sites have character and after that, you make your own fun). A strong penchant for nature and a love of France is probably all you need to take on your travels. And I'm confused or I have a different edition but there are only a dozen non tent sites I think? Look forward to trying Arcachon next!
on 13 December 2015
Use these books religiously each year. They need to be careful not to allocate too much space to glamping though. Wish they did a separate book for that as too many of the recommended campsites don't provide normal camping so a waste of space in probably many people's opinions! Still great though.