on 12 January 2008
This book is great for varied, healthy and flavoursome eating. I suffer with a severe wheat intolerance and find it difficult to find recipes that exclude wheat and are low fat. I cannot understand why someone has posted a review stating the food is bland. The food tastes great but maybe not if one's palette is used to highly processed, artificially flavoured food.

I would highly recommend this for anyone that wants to eat healthy but struggles with ideas for recipes.
on 2 May 2017
This is an excellent book for those of us with allergies, intolerances and just don't know why we can't eat certain foods as we used to. There is a great introduction which goes into detail about WHY and then suggestions for what to do, then loads of recipes for everyone! You can mix and match too if one of your foods is included (we have diffrent needs) and I have done this very successfully. People without 'free from' needs have enjoyed my new venture as well, so the recipes can be used for social events, not just for home use. Sometimes it takes a book like this to show what can be done without sacrificing variety. In addition, once you understand what your problem could be, you can try out the suggestions and then try getting some foods back in moderation. highly recommended!
on 14 March 2017
Was recommended after an allergy test.
Seems to have a variety of alternative meal options and seemingly good advise!
on 14 August 2001
Having an allergy to dairy products & eggs, pretty much eliminates the pleasures of cakes, puddings & desserts. When I bought this book, I was hoping for recipes to satisfy my sweet tooth & am pleased to say I haven't been disappointed. Although the book eliminates use of sugar, I find it is ok to add your own quantities if your body is agreable to this, & therefore giving you a delicious, safe dessert just as I used to enjoy. Aside of the desserts which are easy to make & include things like apple pie & custard, strawberry & banana ice-cream & mince pies, there are also some good main course recipes.
Because the author is encouraging healthy eating the recipes are very selective in the ingrediants used & I found the recipes to be very natural tasting, which can at first seem strange as the palette has to adjust to the new pure & wholesome flavours.The main courses concentrate on 2 meats: chicken & lamb. Unfortunately for me I have an allergy to chicken, but on the brighter side I have successfully replaced other meats for the chicken & the recipes have worked well. So for those of us with certain food allergies I would say this book is a good helping hand to menu planning.
The author often explains where certain ingrediants may be exchanged for others hence allowing a dish for many of us that would normally have to avoid it. The menus can either be taken strictly as written & as the writer explains, this will promote improved health & energy. You would have to be very strict with yourself however, & probably adjust your eating habits in a big way. Or if like me you have certain allergies & just want to try & replace certain foods which you miss (ie puds') then this book will work for you too.
The recipes are very easy to follow & most of the ingrediants are readily available.
Although there are passages written which relate to Candida, Food Allergies, & ME, they are by no means in-depth, but merely there to explain how the diet can contribute to such conditions. An outline is also given about the foods which she has chosen to eliminate from the recipes, which helps us to understand why we should make these sacrifices!
Overall, I am pleased I have this cook book in my kitchen.
11 Comment| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 June 2005
I have recently had a food intolerance test and am Dairy, Wheat and Yeast intolerant. I searched for recipe books which encompassed all three and thankfully found this book. I enjoy food and am so pleased to have found it. It has great ideas and lots of varied recipes which even my husband loves. I feel so much better already and I have even bought her other 2 books and they equally brilliant. Happy cooking!
on 5 October 2006
This was the first of Barbara's books that I had and I started reading the introduction and could not put it down. So much she said resonated with me. For a book entitled "Cooking Without" I have found more wonderful recipes that in any other cook books I have owned. Perhaps it is making use of such good ingredients that makes the flavours in her recipes seem so rich and satisfying. The alternatives she offers mean I am not put off my something I don't like or don't know where to get hold of, and I think my tastebuds are finally growing up. And oh joy - recipes that I can eat without fear of piling on the weight - I can eat good food every day and not think I will have to make it up by "being good" tomorrow - a cook book without guilt that is not for "slimmers" only! I cannot recommend this, or her other two books, too highly. Do yourself a favour and buy it - and do read the introduction.
22 Comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 January 2005
I was diagnosed with yeast related allergy as well as diary allergies 2.5 years ago. I've found this book an invaluable resource. There are some very nice dishes in this book which have gone down extremely well with others who do not suffer from allergies. I would and have recommended this book to others, both allergy suffers and non allergy suffers alike.
on 22 February 2001
Although many of the recipes later in the book are including ingredients you can't have during your actual de-tox, they are all delicious (well, the ones I have tried). Straight forward and covering many different conditions, this book makes being healthy and eating well easy. I was able to maintain the diet without too much alteration to what I normally eat. - except for potatoes - gosh do I miss them!
on 19 July 2001
Just had to mention that I've found this great cookbook.... I just happened to pop into my library today and I found the book for cooking without gluten, sugar, dairy etc...
There is soooo much in there as well as advice on being healthy and so much detail too.
The great thing also which makes it better than all the other books on my shelf is that it lists alternatives for items that you are intolerant too! Great! I can't eat tomatoes or potatoes either and this is the first book I've seen to acknowledge other food intolerances other than wheat and give alternatives! Wow!
Another interesting bit was a list of food families which lists the main food and similar ones which you may be affected by too... and it seems to work for me... for example - potato has peppers and tomatoes in its family, which I'm also intolerant too!
I've just tried the one recipe for fruit and nut slices (only got the book today!) - and they are cooling right now, but look yummy!
Can't wait to try the other stuff out too! Hurray! A flexible cookbook which allows you to pick and choose alternatives! Cool
on 2 August 2010
Got this as it was recommended by a friend but she must be much braver in the kitchen than me as I like to have my hand held throughout the cooking process whereas the recipes description was too short for me. Having said that the advice at the beginning of the book was a very good read and told me a few things I didn't know about nutrition