on 6 November 2010
The boook is well written in contemporary language but loses nothing of Jesus seen against his Jewish background.It deals with Moral issues set against the concerns of Jesus to promote the Kingdom. It puts his teachings which emerge from the synoptic gospels in an engaging way.
on 1 October 2011
I found this book really helpful in reconnecting me to the truths within Jesus's actual words, It takes him out of the 'church' setting where I often find that his words are misused and into the type of setting he would have naturally been found in, having a one to one conversation with another human being. I felt like I was hearing his words afresh and could relate with them in my own way, not in a way that I am being told to by another.
The audio version is excellent too.
on 11 February 2011
Having been recommended this book, I was disappointed with it. It is little more than a pastiche of Jesus' sayings, with no sense of continuity, and certainly no 1st Century background as I'd been led to believe.