- Hardcover: 240 pages
- Publisher: Clarendon Press (1 Sept. 1988)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0198256086
- ISBN-13: 978-0198256083
- Product Dimensions: 14.3 x 1.9 x 22.2 cm
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 3,628,769 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- See Complete Table of Contents
Contrasts in Tolerance: Post-war Penal Policy in the Netherlands and England and Wales (Oxford Socio-legal Studies) Hardcover – 1 Sep 1988
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Carefully researched, cogently argued, and written in a gently felicitous prose, David Downes's study is one which should be read not just by penologists and Home Office officials―for whom it will be essential―but by anyone who wishes to understand how institutions are shaped by the web of social and cultural relations in which they exist. (David Garland, British Journal of Sociology)
fascinating comparative analysis ... powerful and scholarly enquiry (New Statesman and Society)
expertly crafted and beautifully written ... ambitious, creative, and a model in comparative empirical scholarship. As such it will prove to be a significant and lasting contribution to several fields, including criminology, social policy, politial science, and sociology. (Richard V. Ericson, University of Toronto) --This text refers to the Paperback edition.
About the Author
David Downes is at London School of Economics. --This text refers to the Paperback edition.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Women & Art
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Law > Jurisdictions Other Than England & EU
- Books > History > North America
- Books > History > Other Historical Subjects > Women in History
- Books > History > Social & Economic History > Health & Welfare
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Law & Disorder > Criminology
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Law & Disorder > Punishment
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Linguistics > Reference
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Women's Studies