- Also check our best rated Camera reviews
ContourROAM2 Handsfree HD Action Camera - Black (5MP, Still Photo Sensor)
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Locking Instant On-Record Switch: No power button, no problem. Simply slide the Instant On-Record switch into its locking position to ensure you shoot exactly when you're ready.
- Waterproof without a case: Good things come in small packages. The ContourROAM2 sheds bulk by working underwater without an extra case. Minimalism is a good thing.
- Versatility: Whether snorkeling, snowboaring, or tearing up single track, the ContourROAM2 is ready for any adventure. It's compatible with every Contour mount giving you unlimited angles. The 270 degree rotating lens means no matter where the camera is mounted, you'll always get the perfect, level shot.
- Laser Alignment: Get the correct angle any time with the built-in laser level.
- Long Battery Life: Shoot up to 3.5 hours of footage. The Instant On-Record switch means there is no standby mode. The battery is only in use when shooting, giving you more bang per charge.
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What do customers buy after viewing this item?
Colour Name: Black
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
The ContourROAM2 is quite simply the easiest and most stylish way to shoot action video. Building on the success of our most-loved camera the ContourROAM, the high-performing ContourROAM2 retains the key features of its predecessor while including some brilliant updates. Packed with well-designed features like four HD-video modes, an Instant-On Record Switch, a 270° rotating lens, and Contour's signature laser alignment, you'll have everything you need in a compact, easy-to-use camera. And whether you want to stand out in the crowd with the vibrant red, green or blue colour options, or stick with stylish black, the ContourROAM2 offers a lot more than just good looks.
Crystal Clear HD Video
The ContourROAM2 with full HD (1080p) recording capability provides crisp, clear images for those moments that won’t stand still. And with the 5MP sensor you can set the camera in Still Photo Mode to take pictures every 1, 3, 5, 10, 30, or 60 seconds. In Video Mode the camera’s high speed shooting system can capture 60fps at 720p and 30fps at 1080p, achieving that smooth video quality you’ve come to expect from Contour cameras. All this together with the 170° wide-angle custom six-element glass lens, combine to create captivating action images you’ll want to view time and again.
Still the simplest camera to use on the market, the Locking Instant-On Record Switch makes it easy to get the perfect shot. Even in extreme conditions the camera will continue to record without fear of being accidentally deactivated. Simply push the slider forward to its locking position and you can concentrate on the more important stuff, like having fun.
If you love to water ski or ride waves in the surf the waterproof ContourROAM2 will capture all the action. Waterproof to a depth of 1 metre you won’t have to worry about spray or dipping it in the water. If you want to submerge the camera at greater depths the Contour Waterproof Case is available as an optional accessory and is specifically designed to protect the camera down to 60 metres.
With a huge selection of mounts on offer you’ll never have to worry about getting the perfect shot. The ContourROAM2 comes with a Profile Mount for fixing the camera to your helmet, and a Rotating Flat Surface Mount, which is designed to use on a number of surfaces and gives you the confidence that once locked it will stay in place. Contour provides mounts for everything from surfing to skiing, tactical performance and sportsman adventures, as well as general usage such as mounting to hats or goggles.
And once mounted you can ensure the camera is level with the horizon by using the in-built Laser Line. Using the projected line as a guide simply rotate the lens up to 270° until the line is horizontal and you're ready to go. You may of course prefer to record at an angle or even upside down for a completely different perspective.
Long Battery Life
The ContourROAM2 is powered by a built-in rechargeable lithium-ion 3.7V 1350mAh battery which is easily recharged in-camera using the supplied USB Cable. Thanks to the Instant-On Record Switch there is no standby mode so you can shoot up to 3.5 hours without needing to recharge. Video and data are stored on microSD card and a 4GB card is included. The ContourROAM2 can also be used with SDSC microSD cards up to 2GB and SDHC microSD cards up to 32GB.
The ContourROAM2 is ready for any adventure so live life in colour and share your action packed moments through film.
ContourROAM2 versus Contour+2
The ContourROAM2 is just one of two great action cameras from Contour. Take a look at the table below comparing the features of both.
|Locking Instant-On Record Switch||Y||Y|
|Waterproof||to 1 metre without additional protection||with included case to 60 metres for 30 minutes|
|Still photo mode||Y||Y|
|HD 1080p 960p 720p||Y||Y|
|Included microSD card||4GB||4GB|
|iOS/Android BT 2.1||Y|
|External Mic Jack||Y|
|Lens type||Custom 6-Element Glass||Custom 6-Element Glass|
|Full HD||1920 x 1080 @ 30/25fps||1920 x 1080 @ 30/25fps|
|Tall HD||1280 x 960 @ 30/25fps||1280 x 960 @ 30/25fps|
|Action HD||1280 x 720 @ 60/50 or 30/25fps||1280 x 720 @ 60/50 or 30/25fps|
|Slow Motion||854 x 480 @ 120/100, 60/50 or 30/25 fps|
|Photo Mode Interval||1,3,5,10,30,60s||1,3,5,10,15, 20,30,45,60s|
|Dimensions||100 x 55 x 34mm||98 x 60 x 34mm|
|Included mounts||Profile Mount, Rotating Flat Surface Mount||Profile Mount, Rotating Flat Surface Mount|
|Included cables||USB||USB, Mini HDMI, Mic|
|Memory Card Compatibility||up to 32GB microSD||up to 32GB microSD|
|Battery Life||3 - 3.5 hrs||2 - 2.5 hrs|
Rotating Flat Surface Mount
Top customer reviews
The picture is crisp and very clear. Sound is good as well. There are lots of examples on youtube if you need to check it out.
Its ideal for what I want it for and because it comes with two mounts, I've left a mount in the car as well so I can snap it off my helmet and put it in the car. Long car journeys are great on time lapse!
I'd throughly recommend it.
What's in the box?
In the box you get:
• The camera itself
• 2 self adhesive mounts (one curved, swivelling and lockable and one flat)
• A strong, detachable lanyard which affixes to either of the mounts via a protruded corner should the camera slide off the rails somehow
• A mini USB > USB cable to connect it to your PC
• Storage 'sock' to keep it clean with an included 'flannel-y' material to clean the lens should you need it and a small pocket to keep a spare memory card
• Black plastic lens cap (don't forget to remove that when recording (-.-')
• Spare, flat adhesive sticker
• Pointless 'Contour' sticker, if you're into advertising for other companies..
• Micro SD > normal SD card adapter
From what I saw, the 720p looked the same as 1080p, unless I need to uncompress the video file somehow. I tried all of the quality options and they pretty much identical (Contour action - 720p 20/30fps, 'normal' 720p, 20/30fps - 'Tall HD' - 960p, 20/30fps, Full 1080p - 1080p, 20/30fps), I need to do some more testing and may upload a comparison video at some point so you can see what I mean, so far - not impressed. There is also a continuous photo mode with programmable second delay (one every 2, 5, 10 etc. seconds), this seems okay but it's hard to get decent shots unless you count yourself in and 'pose' every 3 seconds, otherwise everything is blurred and crappy, an audio queue may have been beneficial here to know when it's taking the shot, although I believe the tiny LED does flash when it is taking a photo so there is that I guess - you'd just have to be looking at it to know - not useful when your on the other end of the lens.
The camera design itself is very sleek, stylish and appears well made, the buttons to operate it (once you've familiarised yourself with what things are, using their again - externally supplied/downloaded manual), the mounts are both very good, you get a swivel-able and lockable, curved helmet mount, the one I use with my bike which is very good. The fixed mount is now mounted to my airsoft helmet so I'll give that one a go hopefully in the near future. I turned off the laser levelling feature as soon as I could to help save battery as I won't be adjusting it at all while it's on my bike helmet, the sliders you can see there in the main picture seem very solid and they have a divot so it locks in place quite well. the mic is very sensitive to wind noise however - unsurprising at 40mph+ I guess and I'l be modifying it as per many an internet page on the matter (do a little Googling yourself).
The software the manufacturer advises to use is pretty terrible in my experience, it can't seem to do anything but 'grab' the file and download it so you can manipulate it using windows explorer and then potentially edit using external software, I've raised this on their forum but so far - no answer from anyone. Wouldn't play video's, wouldn't even 'see' pictures - this is done by navigating to the camera's DCIM file using Windows explorer (or equivalent), since the ROAM2 doesn't have GPS as well, the 'where have I been?' feature is completely redundant so overall - not very useful at all. Apparently there was a firmware update not long ago that messed up the video quality in some way - may be why I'm having trouble with mine quality-wise but if you have a look around the interwebs at comparison video's, you'll see the ROAM2 has a sort of blurred or 'warm' tint to it, very strange and probably why the detail in the video's isn't up to scratch.
• Decent build quality overall with good innovation
• Small form factor
• You get everything you need to get going in one box
• Not too much of a need for lots of accessories, unlike other popular brands of action camera
• Very easy to operate even through big, awesome, armoured riding gloves
• Big, positively clicking buttons with audio queues for starting and stopping recording
• Wide angled lens captures almost all of what's in front of you so you don't have to worry about looking exactly at the subject
• Mounting options thanks to the included Mounts and swivelling lens with laser level
• Varying exposure levels (that I haven't had chance to try yet - mine's still in 'auto' mode)
• Battery has not run out on me yet
• Quality isn't the best, as well as the strange choice of warm, generally unfocussed and non-adjustable filter that is applied
• Software is absolute garbage from my experience so far, as is the complete lack of online assistance
• Small memory card shipped with Camera (4GB really isn't much, roughly 30 mins of 1080p video but depends on your needs)
• Wind noise on my bike is unbearable after 40mph, I'll be looking into DIY and commercial options so bear this in mind depending on your application
Overall decent camera I guess, I've still got some kinks to iron out but not the best experience for me personally so far. I'll update this review if I can in future.
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews