How to Use This Book
Table of Contents
Chapter One Overview of Architect Registration Exam (ARE)
A. First Thing First: Go to the website of your architect registration board and read all the requirements for obtaining an architect license in your jurisdiction
B. Download and review the latest ARE documents from NCARB website
1. Important links to the FREE and official NCARB documents
2. A detailed list and brief description of the FREE PDF files that you can download from NCARB
* ARE Guidelines
* NCARB Education Guidelines
* Intern Development Program Guidelines
* The IDP Supervisor Guidelines
* Handbook for Interns and Architects
* Official exam guide, references index, and practice program (NCARB software) for each ARE division
* The Burning Question: Why Do We Need ARE Anyway?
* Defining Your Moral Compass
* Rules of Conduct
C. The Intern Development Program (IDP)
1. What is IDP?
2. Who qualifies as an intern?
D. Overview of Architect Registration Exam (ARE)
1. How to qualify for the ARE?
2. How to qualify for an architect license?
3. What is the purpose of the ARE?
4. What is NCARB's rolling clock?
5. How to register for an ARE exam?
6. How early do I need to arrive at the test center?
7. Exam Format & Time
* Programming, Planning & Practice
* Site Planning & Design
* Building Design & Construction Systems
* Schematic Design
* Structural Systems
* Building Systems
* Construction Documents and Service
8. How are ARE scores reported?
9. Are there a fixed percentage of candidates who pass the ARE exams?
10. When can I retake a failed ARE division?
11. How much time do I need to prepare for each ARE division?
12. Which ARE division should I start first?
13. ARE exam prep and test-taking tips
14. English system (English or inch-pound units) vs. metric system (SI units)
15. Codes and standards used in this book
16. Where can I find some study materials on architectural history?
Chapter Two Schematic Design (SD) Division
A. General Information
1. Exam content
2. Official exam guide and practice program for SD division
B. The Most Important Documents/Publications for SD Division of the ARE Exam
1. "The Architect's Studio Companion: Technical Guidelines for Preliminary Design"
2. "Architectural Graphic Standards"
3. "Time-Saver Standards for Architectural Design Data"
C. Strategies, Tips, Solution and Notes on NCARB Traps
1. Overall strategies
2. Tips for graphic vignette section
3. Step-by-step solution to the interior layout vignette of the official NCARB practice program
4. Notes on NCARB traps for interior layout vignette
5. Time-saving tips for interior layout vignette
6. Step-by-step solution to the building layout vignette of the official NCARB practice program
7. Notes on NCARB traps for building layout vignette
8. Time-saving tips for building layout vignette
Chapter Three ARE Mock Exam for Schematic Design (SD) Division
A. Mock Exam: SD Interior Layout Vignette
1. Directions and Code
2. Program: Space and Furniture Requirements
B. Mock Exam: SD Building Layout Vignette
1. Directions and Code
Chapter Four ARE Mock Exam Solution for Schematic Design (SD) Division
A. Mock Exam Solution: SD Interior Layout Vignette
1. Step-by-step solution to the interior layout vignette
2. Notes on mock exam traps for interior layout vignette
3. Time-saving tips for interior layout vignette
B. Mock Exam Solution: SD Building Layout Vignette
1. Step-by-step solution to the building layout vignette of the mock exam
2. Notes on mock exam traps for building layout vignette
3. Time-saving tips for building layout vignette
A. List of Figures
B. Official Reference Materials Suggested by NCARB
1. General NCARB reference materials for ARE
2. Official NCARB reference materials for the Schematic Design (SD) division
C. Other Reference Materials
D. Definition of Architects and Some Important Information about Architects and the Profession of Architecture
E. AIA Compensation Survey
F. So ... You Would Like to Study Architecture
Back Page Promotion
A. ARE Mock Exam series (GreenExamEducation.com)
B. LEED Exam Guides series
C. "Building Construction" (ArchiteG.com)
D. "Planting Design Illustrated"