- Also check our best rated Pregnancy Book reviews
Constructing Autism Paperback – 28 Jul 2005
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
'Majia Holmer Nadesan...brings a welcome sociological and historical perspective to her thoughtful and thought-provoking survey of current controversies.' - Michael Fitzpatrick, GP
About the Author
Majia Holmer Nadesan is Associate Professor of Communication Studies at Arizona State University, USA. Her research addresses relationships across institutional forms, cultural practices and individual subjectivity.
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
The overpowering result of Nadesan's research, in my opinion, is that medical science itself, ironically, is circumscribed by society's refusal or inability to recognize it's own role in creating and treating illnesses such as autism. Nadesan's rationale that autism (or any mental illness for that matter) is created through society's verbal and symbolic articulation of the illness as well as one's genetic history allows science and society to work in concert rather than in opposition.
As both a researcher and the mother of an "autistic" child, Nadesan's work offers a much more balanced and insightful understanding of autism and its implications for society.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Health Issues
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Internal Medicine > Neurology & Clinical Neurophysiology
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Other Branches of Medicine > Psychiatry
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Pregnancy & Childcare > Children's Health & Nutrition > Autism
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Specific Topics > Mental Health & Illness
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Education > Teaching Aids
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Neurology
- Books > Science & Nature > Reference > Psychology & Psychiatry
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Academic Sociology
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Education Studies
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Sociology