Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 July 2013
This book lives up to it's great reviews. It literally changed our lives.
It helped me see and understand things from my daughter's point of view and gave me hope that there was light at the end of the tunnel - even if the tunnel might be long. It gave me some different approaches to try and helped us all relax about the situation which helped too.
8 months later my daughter is no longer with holding her poos or constipated and has been going on the toilet daily without any fuss for over 3 months now. I never thought we would arrive here and it has changed our lives.
A great book and highly recommended.
on 11 November 2016
This book was touted to me by a pediatrician as "a real life changer" - what a pile of steaming poo. Condescending tone, and it didn't tell me anything I hadn't already found out from Googling. Way overpriced for what you get. Don't bother with this - just Google instead.
on 23 April 2017
Found it very helpful and reassuring. It's​ explained in simple terms and makes it clear there is no magic bullet but consistency, patience and cooperation between parents is essential.
on 3 July 2017
I can't contact the seller, I never received this item
on 12 May 2012
My daughter started suffering from constipation/stool witholding when she started eating solids at 6 months old. A good year later and following various visits to our GP she was still suffering from the same problem and it seemed to be getting worse. Apricot, prune, lactulose, syrup of figs, babylax, microclist - we tried them all, some with more and some with less success but nothing really seemed to help her long term. On good days we were happy because she had pood, on other days - esp. after a few days / a week of not pooping we all felt agitated and she was more and more often screaming with pain. The almost constant questions were: is this ever going to get better? how can we help her? are we doing something wrong? we have tried so many things but is her diet still not right? and why do so many people think that she is 'only constipated?'

A trip to Germany brought the solution: She was in so much pain that we had to go and see a doctor, he examined her, talked to us and presrciped Movicol Paediatric Plain. Now 19 months old she has to take one sachet diluted in water every day but she does not seem to mind, in fact she can now finally go every day and there is no more crying.

When researching Movicol Paediatric Plain we came across this book and bought it straight away (Movicol PP is mentioned as one of the poss. laxatives). The book was a complete eye opener and within five minutes we knew more than any of the GPs had told us before. The first eye opener: it is ok to give your child laxatives long term if they need them, it's safe. The second eye opener: most parents think their child is constipated, in fact they are withholding stool. They are essentially afraid of pooping. Laxatives will help them to go and once they have got used to they idea that it is not painful to go, they will stop holding on. It might take time, though.

My tip if your child is suffering from constipation / child withholding: get this book, read it. implement it. You will help your child and your sanity. Movicol Paediatric Plain is what worked for us in the end but every child is different.
on 18 February 2009
If anyone has a had problem with a child with constipation, witholding or soiling you will know the despair. This book is clear easy to follow, short and eminently practical.
Save your money buying toilet books and poo stories use the one in this personalised for your child. If you use the book and with your GP's help it will change your situation totally.
on 3 July 2011
I'm so glad this book exists - because although a common problem it makes life really difficult and not many people seem to understand the situation. I feel the writer really has extensive experience and understanding. He writes sympathetically from both the parents' point of view and the child's. It is well written and funny in places; very human. And you also learn quite a lot of useful stuff about poo.
on 27 June 2008
This book is like having a consultation with the Dr and is very helpful and informative. It gives practical information when dealing with stool withholding. It enables parents to realise that they are dealing with a very common problem among children which can sometimes feel as if they are the only family with the problem. It helps to bring it all out in the open and gives practical ways of solving the problem which are very do-able. As a health professional who deals with this problem on a daily basis, this is the book that is used for reference by our team.
on 12 August 2013
I cannot recommend this book enough - it has literally changed our daily lives. So many GPs don't understand or are dismissive / ill-informed about this issue (withholding) and Dr Anthony Cohn is 100% fantastic. We don't live in the UK but after reading the book I actually emailed him (easy to foind him online) and we had a skype consultation with our 2 year old son which was fun, funny and achieved precisely the right results - Dr Cohn is completely wonderful as is his book. As parents we have gone from feeling out of control, flailing in the dark and a bit depressed to calm, relaxed and above all reassured. If you have a withholding baby, child or teen, don't hesitate to buy this book, it's the only thing you need to read.
on 2 April 2011
We brought this book after spending a year and half battling our daughters reluctance to poo. Most doctors don't understand or prescibe things that are unsuitable and can do more harm than good. Such as lactulose and dulcosate which is not a nice tasting thing for a young child. This book was like a breath of fresh air as people do not understand that a child can withold their pooh but try and insist they are constipated. I would recommend this to annoyone who has this problem with their child as it not only helps the child but also you. It gives you suggestions on how you can deal with the problem and that you really are not alone. Dr Cohn is really helpful and actually answered emails that I sent him. My daughter is now on the way to actually having normally movements is all I can say is thank you for the help and making me feel that I am not the only parent and that I am not alone with the stress and heartache this gives
11 Comment| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse