Customer reviews

on 22 November 2017
First, context: I've been dabbling in wine tasting for a couple of years at the university of Bath wine society but never done any blind tasting. Last year I decided to try to get into the team for the friendly Bath v Bristol uni blind tasting organised by Pol Roger. I bought this book a month before the competition and I believe it greatly helped me improve, particularly in knowledge of regions and distinguishing the wines from those regions (we won, although that is obviously down more to the team). It is an excellent resource to have at tastings as well at home.

In short for anyone looking to get into blind tasting, this book will give you answers to lots of questions that you'll have and greatly expand your knowledge of wines and wine regions around the world. Even for more seasoned tasters though having all this information in one place I think is very useful. Finally if you are at Uni of Bristol wine society don't buy this book please.
on 5 July 2014
This guide is perfect for those interested in learning more about wine and the art of wine tasting. Ideal for reading before a tasting, during a tasting and after a tasting! It provides a simple framework for tasting a wine and delivers interesting background knowledge on wines from all over the world. It is beautifully written and is entirely accessible to the beginner. I couldn't recommend a better book to anyone interested in wine!
on 2 May 2014
I am studying for the WSET Diploma, this book is a great summary of the world's key wine regions and wines. Everything the other reviews say is right as regards the way the book is organised. For me it is so useful when I am trying to see 'the woods for the trees' surrounded by the usual textbooks on wine.
Thanks, this book has helped me a lot.
on 9 July 2014
An excellent work, very focused and with good details and descriptions of a very difficult subject. Suitable for all levels of interest and expertise, including up to WSET Diploma level too. In fact a good aide memoire for all serious wine buffs.
on 12 January 2017
Advanced wine knowledge that will help you further into the world of wine.
on 9 December 2014
I'd recommend it to any wine enthusiast.
on 10 November 2014
This book is a necessary book of the sommelier!
on 18 March 2014
I work in wine sales and was given this book to brush up my wine knowledge. Unlike other wine books, this one spares you the fluff and glossy pictures, covering a great deal of ground without ever throwing away so much as a single sentence. It doesn’t just tell you all about wine, but also teaches you the skills to taste, analyse, and evaluate it. Comprehensive tasting notes of the major styles linked to detailed descriptions of terroir (history, climate, soil etc.) provided me with a clear notion of the subtle differences between e.g. Cabernet Sauvignon from Coonawarra and Cabernet Sauvignon from Margaret River, and of the factors that underlie those differences. The technical precision is often very impressive, with the authors telling you not only what e.g. Albarino should taste like, but also that it is often confused with Riesling, Pinot Gris, Viognier, or Gruner Veltliner, and how it can be distinguished from these other grape varieties. Other than the tasting notes (which are also gathered in a handy appendix), useful features include a blind tasting guide, detailed maps of every major wine region, and a glossary index of key terms and concepts. This book is not so much a book on wine as a textbook of wine, and yet it remains accessible to a relative beginner such as myself. I'll certainly be returning to it when it comes to sitting exams
on 29 April 2016
It's OK !
on 18 December 2016
Full of praise for this wine writer. I worked in the South African wine industry and wished to learn a little more about wine globally. I can tell from his discussions about my own local wine that he does his research most thoroughly. So often writers are exposed when they venture into territory you know a lot about. Neel covers an enormous amount of territory in a very readable way. Great book to give a framework to your wider wine knowledge and education.