on 14 June 2014
The first part of the book seemed to me to have been written by a different voice which almost lost my attention, however I am pleased I persevered as it really is a story of a very different era and has belatedly given me more of an understanding of my own mother. The extraordinary aspect of the book, at least for me as a woman, is the empathy and compassion the author shows towards his biological mother in particular how she might have felt when parting from him after a month in such an amazingly unconventional way. I,Was left with a few unanswered questions which I won't mention here since the author has possibly chosen to leave them out deliberately but they do leave me wondering, which is actually quite a good way to end a story. I have known several adopted children whose search for belonging seemed to overshadow their lives whereas this is a story with a really satisfying and heartwarming result. Sadly, the stories I have known have not always had such love nor similarly happy endings. I would recommend this book to young people who are themselves struggling to find their own identity as a result of having been adopted.
on 17 October 2013
You never know what you will find upon opening the pages of a book like this. What does anyone expect to find? Maybe answers to their own questions? Hope that somehow, their own stories will end as beautifully as the one they are reading? I was so moved by this book; a challenging look at a history of a family, and one that should make any reader thankful that at least, some folk do try to make amends for past mistakes. Long may this family succeed in their relationships with each other.
on 29 June 2013
Interesting book. I really enjoyed reading about Dave's earlier life and growing up. I wasn't born until 1960 myself but I knew of many of the things he spoke of. It was nice to go back in time when life seemed much more simpler. I am so pleased he found his birth mother and did indeed receive some answers to his questions. It is a very sad story in parts and I had tears in my eyes too. I haven't been adopted or given away, I could only imagine what it is like and Dave ,has helped me understand this a little more.
on 28 April 2013
i have been through a similar experience having found three of my blood family. This book so accurately described feelings that I had not been able to vocalise - so much so that I asked my daughter to read it so that she understood some of what I was going through. Excellently written - made me laugh but also made me cry. Didnt want to put it down
on 3 July 2013
I purchased this book after reading a section detailing how the author was handed over on a train station to unknown people who wished to adopt him. My sister was handed over as a baby in much the same circumstances and the book was typical of how information was kept from children by adopted parents out of fear of loosing them. It appeared factual and although the author had a happy upbringing, being told earlier in his life he had siblings might have made his life even better. The story was well written and brought back memories of how I searched for my sister and eventually found her 60 years of age living in Australia where she had been taken as a child.
on 6 February 2014
This was a good read. I became very absorbed with the book. It is very interesting and informative of how life was in times gone by, and how the most outrageous of things happened to children. The strength of the author throughout the book is amazing and my heart goes out to him and his family. This is a very honest heartfelt account of someones life in a sense.
on 6 March 2013
very moving book..excellent read and hard to put down..recommended!..Dave Sharp had me gripped...you will be too!..it will make you so grateful for your parents.
on 13 August 2013
The writer tells the story of his discovery that he had been given away at a month old, and of his search for the truth about this. He writes from a childhood of love, nurture and stability and is remarkably generous in his approach to the truth when he finds it. A heart-warming story.
on 8 July 2013
I enjoyed this book as it was a good read without being boring! I believe this type of thing happened in the past and have read other stories similar to this. The wrier has a good sense of humour and a few good turn of phrases like "she had suicide blond hair - dyed it herself "
on 12 May 2013
A really lovely book about fairly ordinary people. Times were different and values a reflection of that. So glad it was not another 'woe is me' abused childhood tale. A lovely balanced and well thought out book.