on 5 October 2010
I am an engineer by training and thought it was time to catch up on my long forgotten physics, so this level seemed appropriate. And it is a good treatise on elementary and quantum physics as well as the theory of relativity and the need for a unified theory of everything, at least if you have a solid background. If you don't know a lot of physics already I don't think you will learn much from this text. But my main criticism of this book is that it is very thin on the subject of string theory. It introduces the concept: subnuclear particles are made up of tiny little strings or loops. But then... very little. So, I still have no idea what strings are...
One person found this helpful
on 26 December 2009
This book does exactly what it says on the tin. An explanation of string theory for beginners. The "Complete Idiot" series can be a bit hit or miss, but this is definitely a hit.
One person found this helpful
on 19 December 2014
All good
on 1 October 2013
It is simpler than most other books on string theory and I have actually learned new things since reading it.
My only critisism is that it is on my kindle and the diagrams are far too small to read.
on 4 September 2012
A great book managing to explain the theory with only one equation (and even I knew that one)! I was really pleased with the purchase - excellent.
on 11 January 2010
Having read quite a lot of books on cosmology, quantum physics etc I was looking forward to reading this book. I have been very disappointed. The presentation style is poor and, although a lot of ground is covered, the explanations are superficial and often quite puzzling. Not a patch on The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene.
2 people found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 28 February 2009
This is an excellent book, easy to read, written by a real physicist who knows his stuff. If your maths is shaky, even more reason to get the book. It contains just one equation, e = mc^2, but still you will be able to follow up to date ideas on string theory and the physics that has led up to it.
Don't be put off by the title - it's just there to sell the book!
7 people found this helpful