on 12 January 2010
Having dabbled with Low-Light Photography in the past, I wanted to learn more and got this book.

It does run through the basics you need to start with, including the basic kit you need. It runs through different scenarios, different light and using angles effectively, all the way through to using Photoshop to correct images.

Although I found the book useful, I feel it's got something missing. Though is possibly as the last photography book I bought was Light, Science and Magic which explains everything in much further detail.

Even so, I'd recommend this book.
on 13 November 2009
This is an excellent guide to taking night and low-light images. The book covers three main areas; 1) how to take low-light images, 2) various low-light situations such as lanscapes, the urban environment and portraits, and 3) post camera image production.

The author's writing style is clear and informative which when coupled with the excellent photographs makes this one of the best books I have read on the subject.
on 27 June 2011
I bought this prior to travelling to Spitzbergen in anticipation of having to photograph in very low light levels. As it turned out there was plenty of light! Anyway the book is clearly written with solid advice and plenty of practical guidance for a range of different scenarios. There is of course no substitute for practice and I was inspired to go out in the dark and take photographs that I would never have taken previously. This is a fairly specialist area and technically quite challenging but the modern DSLR camera is a remarkable thing and most users only utilise a fraction of their cameras facilities. This book will give you the confidence to go out with your tripod and try something different.
on 26 July 2012
As a keen photographer and this being a David and Charles book, I was expecting easily read print and of course their usual quality production, with lots of crisp glossy photographs to study. What I got was paper with a dusty feel to it, an Introduction I gave up trying to read (blue text on a blue sky), and an overall quality that would have been easily surpassed by any book back in the 1970's. So if you too are expecting a great quality book, I would stongly suggest you choose a different title as my copy is destined for the nearest charity shop.

I did email David and Charles about the quality, and sad to say (and surprisingly so) no response.

In the end I bought a second hand copy of "Night & Low-Light Photography" by Lee Frost.
on 19 January 2013
Books content is spot on,my type of photography ,however the AMAZON home print failed in so many ways.Paper and print quality was like it came from a home printer after being scanned . No definition in the images and a horrible ,none sharp font through out the book. The high street editions are the real deal and worth every penny of the extra couple of pound.
If you buy counterfit goods (These are legally produced and sold as part of the publishers deal )you get the lack of quality .
Age old addage "you get what you paid for"
No problem with Amazon getting them returned for a refund.
on 22 April 2013
This book is a good introduction to low-light shooting. If you've never done it before, this will tell you a bunch of stuff you might need. If you're like me and have experimented with the subject for some time, this does not really offer anything new and can not really be called 'The Complete Guide'... lots of little tips and advanced tricks are missing, but still. An ok addition to my library, and the price is right.
on 3 January 2014
I have read this a few times now and enjoy the flow and content very much. One of the better books on this topic I would say.
on 27 February 2013
As a person interested in taking photographs in low light . I found this book to offer great tips and it was easy to read and understand. The book arrived within the stated time. Everything was excellent thank you
on 11 November 2013
In great condition, this book really encourages photographers to really use the settings on their cameras rather than use auto, producing some great sesults.
on 9 March 2015
Really great book. it tells you also the settings that were used in the examples. Really well written and really useful. Absolutely recommend it if you have a DIY approach to photography