on 7 March 2004
As a beginner I highly recommend this CD as I find it very easy to use. The photographs are stunning and the plant care and illustrated pruning advice is very easy to follow which is a help as I usually end up killing everything. I now know what I can plant in my garden and also have the confidence to know what to do with my plants.
It is so easy to find plants by colour and month which is a help as I wanted to find plants that would give me interesting colours during the autumn and winter months. I found loads of plants on the CD within seconds, some I didn't even know existed. Already my garden is taking shape thanks to the expert advice from the CD and the backup from the Web site.
I really like the Garden Styles function where you move over the photograph to identify the plants. Having the ability of adding plants to my calendar list is great idea because I can see what flowering plants I have from month to month and then I can click on any chosen month to see which of my plants need pruning; another click shows me how.
I've used the Add notes function to keep a record of where I've planted my clematis and other plants which is helpful in the winter months and as I don't like labels my notes keep a record for me.
Altogether this is a very nifty CD. It's been well designed and finding plants is so quick and easy. More importantly the Complete Gardens CD is British made unlike the other garden design CD-ROMS with famous personalities on the covers which I've bought in the past.
on 25 January 2005
I highly recommend the Complete Gardens CD-ROM
It was well packed and arrived from Amazon within days of the order.
It does what it says on the box.
Very easy to use
Loads of useful ways to search for plant and narrows down the ones that I can grow in my garden.
The vast number of photos shows me what the plant looks like and how big the plant's going to get. It also tells me the flowering months and for shrubs and trees autumn leaf colour changes or if they have berries.
I want to know when and how to prune my plants and it tells me that too with clearly drawn animated illustrations
I can make a picture record of the plants I've got by adding them to the calendar, and know which plants to prune in each month. Books can tell me this too but it takes me ages to find the info, but this CD is so fast it's even fun.
I use the 'Add Notes' a lot. My added notes stay attached to the plant and I can print them with the photos.
I found some lovely Tulips on the CD, which my local Garden Centre didn't stock however I found a specialist grower through the CD web link.
It's a very neat and interesting CD and it's a good chance my garden will be the same this season too.
A well thought out CD at last. Congratulations
on 7 September 2005
This software includes a database of plants that can be searched by name or by a combination of characteristics. Unlike other packages, however, it also lets you search by plant use or interest and there are options such as autumn colours, berries and cottage-style gardens.
There's no shortage of photographs and most importantly, the emphasis is on the practical, so for each plant, there's information on planting, plant care, pruning, pest and diseases. The information is extensive - many plants include six pages on pruning alone.
The garden style guide includes 28 styles. Each style includes a photo and, as you move the pointer over the image, plants are highlighted and thier names appear. Double-click a name takes you to its entry.
You can maintain lists of plants you want and plants you have, and a diary reminds you when your plants needs attention. There are many educational articles and online search facility for suppliers of plants on your wants list.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 6 September 2005
As well as being a " bad birdwatcher" , I am also a "bad gardener" - keen to get some colour around the place but with not a lot of skill and certainly not too obsessive.
As I am still earning my daily crust , any product which enables one to save time , to avoid costly mistakes and end up with a colourful garden is ideal - does it exist?
This CD is a big step in the right direction .
I have spent several hours glued to it looking at individual plants ( superb pictures) and possible garden layouts ( these have a link to plant lists so you can go from visual effect in a garden to plant identification to plant details .
I set up my current plant lists as suggested - obviously not every single variety of every plant can be covered but using similar ( generic) plants allows one to oversee the work ( pruning etc) required through the year via a monthly calendar . One can also list plants of interest for purchase and search for possible suppliers via the website.

Overall it is an excellent product and has answered many of my questions/ made suggestions for my clay soil garden in Somerset. Anyone starting from scratch in different parts of the country could easily construct an all round garden
Only " criticisms" - totally personal - would be that there are not enough varieties of certain plants eg fuchsias , roses , geraniums / pelargoniums and bulbs . You can get additional info via links through the website. The supplier welcomes also feedback from users - good way of improving an already good product
The search engine is very good but somewhat unforgiving - absolute correct spelling must be used both in the latin names ( expected) and in the common names . One oddity "Grass" pulls up entries but "grasses" doesn't. Be careful and there is no problem. Use the website links if in doubt on plants and spelling. Not all nurseries use correct spelling so persevere if at first you don't succeed
When I e mailed the supplier (Neil) , I got an almost immediate response answering any queries or misunderstandings ( few) in operating the CD.
Additional plants and features are being made available over time as loyalty CD's ( updates at reduced price ) which I will be investigating.
Overall - a joy to use and thoroughly recommended - buy with confidence
on 22 January 2005
By Mark Yabsley. 10/10
Very easy to navigate around, unlike other Garden CDs.
Information is clear, full and accurate. Looks impressive so can use it professionally as an illustrative tool.
Good back-up, unlike with large software companies.
Bad points NONE.
General Comments:-
I have recently purchased this program to assist with my own garden, as well as my fledgling Horticuture business. I find that it has the right level of information for both amateures and professional markets, which is well laid out and easy to learn to use.
It has plenty of useful features, such as being able to create a calendar for activities and notes on plants you want to purchase.
I understand a professional edition is in the pipeline, but I would unreservedly recommend this to any keen enthusiast, whether amateur or professional who is looking for a reliable interactive resource
on 7 March 2004
Wow what an easy way to do gardening! No more looking through lots of books to find your plants or ideas for the part of your garden that never looks quite right
I found this CD-ROM so easy to use and it had great bits of information and loads of ideas for different flower borders.
The photography is fantastic and it makes it so much easier to see the plants and what they will look like troughout the season rather that the small pictures you find in a book!
As I am a bit of a novice gardener I also found the individual pruning pictures really neat and very easy to follow.
Every household should have one and what is even better is that you can carry on adding plants when they produce up-dates.
I can't wait!!
on 13 March 2004
This CD is really great. I have bought other CD's on gardning in the past and though they say they have more plants the photo's are so useless for indetifying the plants and they also have lots of plants we can't buy in England
The Complete Gardens CD is worth every penny
Top Quality and so easy to use
What stonking photography and well thought out design
on 5 March 2006
I'm very impressed with this slick interactive plant encyclopaedia. Having lots of books I was initially dubious about using a CD-ROM is a very useful addition as you can add notes, make your own plant lists and print them and its quick and easy to find plants for specific aspects of the garden, like shade or full sun, plants to climb fences, container plants, tall plants for the back of the border and short plants for the front. The layout is so simple and easy to use. I have a fairy small garden and this CD found thopusands of plants to suit my needs.
I like that I can add notes and print them with photos. I can add plants to the Calendar to keep a visual record of my plants though the year plus I can add plants I want and print the list with images to take to the Garden Centre. They also have a link to specialist suppliers. I have not ordered any plants yet but it's nice to know where I can find some of the more unusual and stunning plants on the CD and know the conditions they like to be planted.
I gave Complete Gardens a call and they were very helpful. I fully recommend this CD-ROM. It's like having several books in one yet the computer does the searching for you in seconds. Great idea and well thought through.
Well packed and speedy delivery by Amazon
Great value
on 25 February 2006
I just want to let others know that this Cd is absolutely brilliant and I would recommend it to anyone.
If you're worried that will you have to be a computer wiz to use it then don't be, I promise you it's so easy to use. The CD starts up without the worry of 'Downloading'. All you do then is simply choose a colour, a month, height or you can put in your soil type and seconds later pictures of yourselected plants appear.
Every plant comes with pruning advice, plant care and lovely pictures.
I imagine that it is selling very well because it's head and shoulders above the rest. True there are thousands of very pretty pictures with each plant to help with identification. Very helpful.
As well as 25 apples, 211 roses, 72 iris there are 422 shrubs sub-divided into evergreen, flowering or attractive foliage, 161 climber sub-divided into flowering or foliage and autumn colours, 178 trees, 42 herbs sub-divided into culinary use and/or flowering, 43 grasses, 25 ferns, 335 plants with alpine attributes, 500 plants with autumn colour, 239 plants to
attract butterflies, 1,621 plants for alkaline soils, 919 plants to add height and interest, 415 for damp shady, 1,569 border plants and the list goes on. And remember each is relevant to the UK.
I found 13 Cornus listed on the CD each one with a number of beautiful photographs to show the various leaf colours, stems, flowers shape and seasonal chanes.
The icon with the secateurs clearly suggests that this is where you find the pruning advice (wait and it says so for those still left wondering) the spade is where you find planting information. The
icon with the note pad is where you can write your notes. The printing icon is where you print your notes and you can chose a pick of any of beautiful
photograph. The calendar is where you can add plants and see the plants you have in any month. Where it says 'Plants I have that need pruning' is where you find out which of your plants need pruning, the secateurs shows you how.
Rather useful and easy I would suggest.
I have every confidence that anyone buying the Complete Gardens CD will find it a very useful, easy to use CD and great for all levels. See the review in Computer Active March issue if you have any doubts about the Complete Gardens CD's.
Jeanette Smithe
on 24 January 2005
I had the CD as a Christmas present & it's been really useful for a gardening luddite like myself. The features are easy to use & I particularly like the detailed sections on individual plant care for example how to prune the plant in question properly. I have installed the CD on to my PC's hard drive which enables the program to run quicker & saves having to hunt for the CD each time. If you want to install it on PC disable the autorun function first, then you can install it on the hard drive.