on 10 November 2015
I have never cared enough about something on amazon to write a review. Maybe a few years ago. If you're serious about learning danish as I am, and like me you actually missed a flight trying to read a danish newspaper and lost track of time at the airport, you need this book. This book is something else. It's almost cheating.

Edit 1:
I'm done the first four chapters and I must say, I can count to 100, I know know how to tell the time in the most complex ways, I can talk about buying food, tickets, flowers, red wine, pretty much things you do on a date. I can say that I called someone and talked to them, I can ask what something costs, I can pretty much read danish text messages and comments on youtube and reddit. And right now in chapter five I'm about to learn how to say something is a good idea, ask someone what they want to do today. I'll do another update once I reach chapter 8. Not a single negative thing to say about it so far, this is the closest thing to sling shooting yourself from beginner to advance.

A note, you need to know basics words like han, til, for, at, jeg, har, i, godt, du, skal, os, en, er before reading this book. If you don't memorize the meanings before chapter one you will burn a lot of time trying to figure out what something means instead of memorizing new vocabulary. I suggest duolingo and pass it's first test before trying this book, so that you are comfortable with the bread and butter words. If you can pick them up some other way great. This is not to say if you straight jump into this book you can't pick them up, but it feels good when you know something before they introduce it too you with other unknown stuff. Kept me motivated and I didn't burn out.
review image review image review image
on 6 June 2017
The ad said it was "complete" whereas I found I had to buy the dvd as a separate item to the book so this was a disappointment.
on 6 January 2016
Good for beginners
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 August 2015
I bought this because, often with Danish, the pronunciation of words is very different to how you'd say them in English, and I needed to understand more than the theory of how to make the various sounds required.

I'm using it in conjunction with other materials (online sites, radio etc) and am making good progress. Not sure how successful it would be as a stand-alone course, but certainly helps with the spoken and listening aspects of a new (and quite challenging) language.
on 20 June 2017
I'm reading this alongside private Danish lessons and it has proven to be a good resource. It would have been better to buy with the audio.
on 11 September 2014
I am only a few chapters into this course, but so far so good. The blend of written instruction and audio is working well.
on 12 May 2014
Good value course. Clear audio, but some of the voices are better than others. I would recomend this to others
on 2 June 2017
It is without the shadow of a doubt, the worst manual of the Teach Yourself series that I have follow up to now. Not only the learning method is rather chaotic, but the voices in the CD are untrained and unprofessional. Fortunately, I had studied previously the Norwegian manual and so I could make some sense out of the Danish one.
on 3 July 2014
A very clearly written book, but you will definitely need the MP3 if you haven't access to a Danish speaker. My main gripe would be that the notoriously difficult Danish pronunciation and mismatch between the written and oral forms of the language have not been sufficiently highlighted (though perhaps if they had, it would put people off). As it is the MP3 together with the book form an excellent introduction to the language, which, apart from the pronunciation, is not so difficult for English speakers to pick up.
on 20 June 2016
This book is printed on recycled yellow-ish paper that will not allow any kind of pen-erasing (if you make mistakes while filling the blanks in exercises) as it will get wholes in it. It is also hard to read due to lack of contrast of the pages and text.