on 2 May 2014
Superb. No other word for it. Just plainly, simply, beautifully & clearly read by a fantastic actor whose heart is genuinely in his work. What a legacy to leave after a long career delighting us on stage & screen: a truly epic labour of love. Many thanks, Mr Suchet!
11 Comment| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 June 2014
I was at a very loose end in the middle of the night, browsing, bored, looking for something, and I have often looked at and downloaded various eBook versions of the Holy Bible amongst other books. At the same time, I must explain, I was always reading, reading, reading and I do not mean I was only reading religious tomes. I read everything and everything: history (much, much history, especially of the 19th and 20th century), biographies, novels, philosophy, politics, humour, old books from my childhood once more re-read (in fact, almost everything except Science Fiction, sorry) but I always kept looking and wondering after reading such books as Peter Hitchen's, "The Rage Against God".
Always I was left searching and wondering.
Now, I honestly do not know why, but I came across this audio version of the Holy Bible during one of my interminable, insomnia-riddled, night wanderings. And I decided to buy it.

It arrived today. Listening to only the opening few verses has, maybe not transfixed me, but definitely given me serious pause for thought. I have read these verses umpteen times since childhood some seventy years ago. *Now*, they really do seem to mean something. Perhaps just like Mr. Suchet, I have had my own moment of epiphany through his recordings as he had after reading an hotel room Bible in 1986.

I don't know. I just don't know. The one thing I *do* know is that on my waking the morning after my overnight purchase I felt it was an extravagant and spurious acquisition. Now I know it was not. I hope this may turn out to be the very best almost forty quid I have spent in my lifetime.
on 13 February 2016
This is a good buy, and David Suchet reads the NIV beautifully. However, there are two major snags. The first is the files are poorly organised. It would have been much better if the books had been arranged in folders and sub-folders for easier access. Heavens the accompanying blurb gives an ideal structure: law, history, poetry, prophets, gospels, and acts and letters. Why not organise them on the disks like that instead of individual files for each chapter? I spent a good couple of hours loading the files onto my laptop and desktop, and organising them accordingly. The second is the files are in MP3 format and may not play on some machines. It doesn't bother me, but potential buyers should check their preferred device can play these disks.
on 29 May 2014
I particularly appreciate hearing the Bible read in an English accent. Previously I had used a version read by an American cast with background music. David Suchet is so much easier on the ear.
on 16 May 2017
I find it a tall order reading long extracts from the Bible and I recently discovered that my knowledge of much of the bible and in particular the Old Testament was quite poor. The solution this audio bible so beautifully read by Suchet who has a very listenable voice. Listening to some American renditions of the Holy Scripture I find a little grating - apologies to our cousins across the sea, but Suchet's rich tones are very pleasing to the ear.
on 3 April 2017
Grand performance from a great actor, who sounds like he believes every word. Simply takes my breath away. Thank you!
on 2 June 2017
very good , a relaxing way to listen to the bible. Very clear . I never get bored of listening to David reading.
on 25 July 2017
good to hear the word so well/ clear. Worth every penny// excellent voice ..
on 15 April 2017
David has done a great job - I feel the bible has be brought to life, I hear more than what I can read - passages that I've read before came right out on listening - every Christian should get a copy for car journeys or even for the kids when doing RE homework.
on 6 April 2015
This recording is a work of love, and a gift to fellow pilgrims. It is an example of one who has greatly received being greatly generous to others. The voice comes from a deep, still conviction - in other words, this is not a performance that eventually demands too much from the listener. I have been given the gift of using my commute to listen to the Scriptures, and allowing them to imprint my life. Thank you.