Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Apr 2012 17:36:07 BDT
Iain Young says:
I posted a query in the existing discussion on compatible dongles, but it seems to have been ignored.
Can I put this another way? Is there any reason to expect that a particular dongle would NOT be compatible?
Has anyone successfully used a dongle which isn't in the (non-exhaustive) list given?

Posted on 11 Apr 2012 17:49:46 BDT
H. A says:
Hi,

if a dongle is not on the compatible list I would not expect it to work.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Apr 2012 17:59:07 BDT
Iain Young says:
Hi,

Many thanks for that. Below is the question I referred to in my post:

"I have looked at the 3 site and they list various plans with with Huawei dongles, either "Standard" or "Premium", but no "E" numbers are given. Are these the correct dongles and if so do they require an adaptor? I can't actually find the difference between standard and premium, apart from the cost, which is only £1.02 a month."

Can you shed any light on that?

Posted on 11 Apr 2012 20:04:27 BDT
Iain Young says:
OK, I've partly answered my own question - the Standard dongle is E353 and the Premium is E367. It appears that 3 no longer sell E122s. They are, of course, still available, but some of the prices are a bit steep and you still need a contract on top. I am going to visit the local shops armed with my tablet and see what they come up with, otherwise I feel as if I am going round in circles.

Posted on 12 Apr 2012 10:19:51 BDT
H. A says:
have a look on the webs big auction site. You will find the right dongles at a good price there.

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 15:50:09 BDT
Iain Young says:
(Copy of post on the original discussion on this subject)
I've now had a chance to visit my local 3 Store and they advised that their current dongles (E353 and E367) would not work with an Android device. However, they also advised that NO USB dongle would work with ANY Android device, which renders their advice slightly suspect. They did confirm that they no longer offer the E122 dongle.
They advised that the best option would be a Mobile Wi-Fi device (MiFi) which they said would work with any tablet with Wi-Fi capability. They, of course, have lots of Plans (doesn't everybody!), but their cheapest is an 18 month contract for 1GB a month for £10.87 a month (they also have pay-as you-go plans - check their website) which seems to compare favourably with their £7.87 for a dongle with the same data capacity. I am quite attracted by this. Has anyone tried this, or something similar? Orange do have something comparable but it is currently out of stock. T-Mobile have a MiFi device , but it appears that is only works on Windows 7 or Mac, so not much use for our discussion. No doubt others are available - I got a bit tired hacking through the jungle at this point!

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 16:05:28 BDT
H. A says:
MiFi will work fine. They are trying to tell you that 3G won't work to sell you a MiFi because they make more money on the dongle itself. MiFi is a pretty neat little solution to mobile data though, as you don't need any cumbersome devices attached to your tablet or other device (such as laptop)

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 17:02:34 BDT
Iain Young says:
Hello,
Thanks for that feedback. I'm going to go down the MiFi route. The technology appeals and my previous (admittedly limited ) experience using a dongle on a laptop was that the dongle wobbled about a lot and the signal was frequently lost. (I realise that that might have been because of the quality of the 3g signal.) The fact that the MiFi device can be used on up to 5 other devices is potentially useful.

Posted on 24 Apr 2012 15:58:44 BDT
Iain Young says:
(Copy of post to another discussion)
More feedback.
I have just acquired a Huawei E586 Wireless Modem (their description) and it seems to work perfectly with my CloudNine Tablet.
I don't know if this is a successor to the E585 mentioned by Kernow Kaz, or if it is something completely different, so I can't help with his/her query.
I have a 18 month contract with 3 giving 1GB data for £10.87 a month.
Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Apr 2012 21:29:58 BDT
Kernow Kaz says:
Thank you Iain, as you say, I expect yours is the successor to the wireless modem that I have so mine will hopefully also work! Thanks for taking the time to reply. :-)

Posted on 26 Apr 2012 11:19:16 BDT
H. A says:
Any Wireless modem should work flawlessly.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions