on 27 December 2014
This sets off in familiar ground - mithridates and his ilk causing trouble and the soldiers of Dura saving the day. However, once it becomes apparent that one of the companions may still be alive and forced to fight as a gladiator by the Romans, then a new line of storytelling takes hold.
I read all of the previous four Parthian Chronicles about a year ago and enjoyed them all, rating them between three and five stars. I also enjoyed this book which is an improvement on the fourth volume despite its premise being a little contrived - the discovery of pacorus's heretofore unknown memoirs, and would recommend any reader of the previous books to pick this one up too.
Whether it would stand alone is debatable, but I particularly like the detail darman goes into when the battles and gladiatorial fights are taking place.
A few missed typos here and there don't detract from an enjoyable read, and I rather hope that more memoirs are still to be found out there somewhere....
on 5 October 2017
I got the impression from this book that the author had a lot of bits and pieces in his notebook and an idea he wanted to write about gladiators. It begins with a battle and ends with one too which are subsidiary to the main plot though both are better than the pointless verging on ludicrous expedition to Ephesus. Pacorus comes across as a pompous twit as well as a know all, everywhere he goes and everything he does is accompanied by a history lesson which slows the narrative as does the repeated dialogue between the characters. I got fed up with it three quarters of the way through but still finished it - speed reading was never so speedy.
on 24 May 2016
I am a huge fan of Peter Darman's Parthian Chronicles; they are one of my favourite series' of the last few years. This book - the latest published - actually takes place part way through the events of the series. It is written in the same style, and features many of the main characters, but in a detached setting. Although I have enjoyed it, it left me with the question - why? The story is interesting - if a little far-fetched - but the events are such that they would have surely been referred to in the books which are set later in time. If you have read and enjoyed the series, then you will probably enjoy this one, but it doesn't add anything to the overall story.
on 15 November 2017
After reading the Pacorus series in order the characters became like old friends. The same people are in this story so it was easy to get into. Enjoyable to read and it took me back to the days before central heating when you would sit in front of roaring fire and could wrap yourself into a good book like a warm blanket with the wind whistling outside. Difficult to see how the series can carry on from here!
on 10 August 2014
Another good book in the "Parthian Chronicles Series". A little less believable than some of the other books, in the rescue of one of the companions, but the battles are quite cleverly portrayed. Well worth reading if you have followed the "Parthian Chronicles", if you haven't, I would suggest you start at the beginning of the series and read them all as they are well worth it.
on 28 November 2016
Having read all the books in this series I find this one not up to the standard of the others. Whilst interesting to read the notion of the various adventures a King can get into is little far fetched to say the least. The book will keep you entertained if you want something light and easy to read without having to think too much!
on 8 February 2015
Got the first book in this series by accident but decided to give it a read, very glad that I did, just finished reading companions and was not disappointed in any way. If you like roman historical books like I do, these books are for you. They give you a perspective from the people on the other side of roman rule such as the parthians , which I have to admit I didn't know much about until now, don't want to give any of the story away but do recommend these books as I found them very enjoyable and unable to put them down. Thanks to you peter darman for giving me a good series of books to add to my collection
on 17 October 2014
I was delighted to find this title having loved the first 4 books in the series which I didn't want to end, and is probably my favorite series of all time. Good idea to discover scrolls to allow further foray's into the life of Pacorus, I hope Mr Darman will conjure up some more over the coming years - keep up the good work sir.
on 26 February 2015
Compulsive reading for this interested in this period of history. This book brings together the characters from the series with a familiarity that makes the reader feel like a fly on the wall actually experiencing the events as they unfold. Well written and thoroughly enjoyable
on 30 January 2015
It seemed strange reading a further book in the Parthian Chronicles series after the death of all characters in Book 4 however, Darman ensured his heroes re- lived their glory days via this final book. I have enjoyed every one of his books so far and look forward to reading further work by him.