on 6 September 2017
Series 1 was the best, but if you are a Columbo fan this will also be enjoyable.
on 18 July 2017
Love columbo
on 10 June 2014
These timeless programmes are so great to watch. Peter Falk is perfectly cast as the seemingly inept detective who is anything but! Even my 12 yr old loves it. I will be buying more.
on 11 May 2017
Grt quality thanks
on 29 May 2010
If you are a Columbo fan, then this box set is for you.
The first 6 seasons were the best imo, with very clever writing and of course great acting by Peter Falk. Also lots of famous faces, making guest appearances.
on 9 March 2011
I love the Columbo series vary much. It was simply unique in that we always knew who the murderer was and how the deed was committed. Instead, we had to watch Columbo figure it out for himself and to trap the killer into confessing. I prefer the early series, the ones made in the 70's. I can't explain exactly why but they just seemed better. There was always a host of stars who made appearances throughout the 10 series, including Donald Pleasance, Patrick McGoohan, William Shatnar, Leonard Nimoy, Roddy McDowall, and on the list goes.

There are no extras on these DVD sets, but the picture and sound quality are vary good.
on 5 January 2012
Having been somewhat disappointed with season 3, I have to admit I was quite impressed with season 4 and my only niggle was that it was over so quickly. All 6 episodes of the show over 3 disks, with a bonus episode from the spin-off series Mrs Columbo on the 3rd disk, were enjoyable. Good to see they put subtitles in with this season. My two favourite episodes from this season and possibly from the show itself from all the episodes I've watched in the 5 or so seasons I already own would have to be the one set in a historical military academy with Patrick McGoohan as the main guest star and the one on board a cruise ship with Robert Vaughn. This season is most definitely staying in my permanent collection. It was also fun seeing Columbo in a tracksuit in episode 1 working out at a gym!

As for the DVD quality, there seemed to be a distinct improvement in the film transfer to DVD compared to season 3 in which every scene looked rather lack lustre. The inclusion of subtitles also makes this season more attractive than the previous season. Disc 1 is rated 12 with 2 and 3 being PG so the overall certification given is a 12.

Other guest stars in this season include: Gena Rowlands, Dean Stockwell, Dick Van Dyke, Patrick McNee and Bernard Fox.
on 21 February 2011
These are all great DVD's. I am slowly collecting them all. I agree with another reviewer however who says that it would be nice to have a collection that features an archive interview with Peter Falk and some background to the making of the shows. This would be much better than having the Mrs Columbo bonus which I dont consider to be any kind of bonus. I havent bothered to watch any of those as they dont feature the great man himself, nor indeed i gather has he ever seen them himself.
Favourite episode on these DVD is the one with the wonderful Robert Vaughan 'Troubled Waters' and a 'Deadly State of Mind' with George Hamilton. 'Negative Reaction' would be my third choice. Excellent.
VINE VOICEon 21 September 2006
The original seventies series of Columbo is without doubt an extremely high quality and intelligently written drama which has never lost its magic however many years pass from its original broadcast date and season 4 for me represents the show's pinnacle.

Whereas series 1-3 tends to be split between some very good episodes and a few that are truly great, season 4 is great throughout. It's very hard not to feel every story here is a Columbo classic and with the addition of an such an effective cast (in particuar the murderers) it's hard to go wrong. Peter Falk plays his part to perfection, of course.

There's a nice variety of different plot locations like a military academy, health club, cruise liner and a hospital which adds considerably to the attractiveness of the stories.

The DVD extra, an episode of 'Mrs Columbo' pales by comparison but it's entertaining nevertheless.

If you only intend buying just the one Columbo DVD this is the one to get.
0Comment| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 November 2006
The first season set had six DVDs. The box sets seem to be getting smaller each time and now we're down to just three discs. So that's six episodes and one 'bonus', an episode of Mrs Columbo.

But, I suppose it's just down to the number of episodes in each season.

It's a shame they haven't kept the same style of packaging throughout the series - this one doesn't have the attractive multi-disc system, just three separate slim cases.

Luckiliy, the six episodes in the fourth season are some of the best, including one of my favourites where Columbo investigates a murder at a military academy. The final episode is an all star affair on board a cruise ship, starring Robert Vaughan and Patrick McNee amongst others.

Image quality is up to scratch but the sound seems very low - I had to really crank up the volume.

As I said, the bonus is Mrs Columbo. I suppose it's vaguely of interest (I hadn't realised Mrs Columbo and Captain Janeway of the starship Voyager are one and the same person) but only very vaguely.

It would be nice to have an interview with Falk or something one of these days, or some background material.

Despite all this, it's still a necessary addition to your Columbo collection. Roll on the fifth season!