Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Colony is set in the distant future. Earth has become so overpopulated that it no longer has sufficient resources to sustain its inhabitants. Decades ago EarthGov began a program to despatch people, drawn at random to distant, but viable worlds in the hope that they would be able to survive and build a new colony.

The story begins with Jorge and Meesha who are the only two survivors from a previous colony which arrived on the planet 20 years ago. Every year they make a trip to the same spot where they landed in the hope that they will see a new ship arriving, bringing a new set of colonists to join with them. This year their luck has changed - or has it? As with all good books, things don't go according to plan and life as they know it begins to change very rapidly.

I found that the plot was imaginative and intriguing, although at times the narrative lacked depth. Having said that, I couldn't put the book down and kept reading for the best part of the day until I had finished it.

Jorge was well developed as a character and Mr Reeves did a good job at giving us an insight into the frustrations he felt as various events unfolded throughout the story. It was a shame that Meesha, Aria and Bannock were left as fairly superficial characters; I think that the novel could have been taken to a whole new level had more time been spent with each of them as individuals.

There were a couple of inconsistencies in the story that left me with questions (these are NOT spoilers): If Earth was so short of resources and so overpopulated, why were only 50 colonists sent at a time? That number would not have made the tiniest blip on the overcrowding issue. In another part of the story, it mentions that 'the rusty hinges squeaked'. Although the original colonists were sent with some supplies I doubt they were sent with hinges and in the two years in which the village was constructed would they have had time to find metal on the planet, refine it and then create workable hinges? I know, only a tiny point, but inconsistencies can niggle.

I did find a number of spelling and grammatical errors which seems to be fairly common in many Kindle books but these didn't detract from the story as a whole.

Overall, despite the imperfections mentioned above, I have given this book 4 stars because I thoroughly enjoyed the story and I will definitely be looking for more books that have been written by Scott Reeves.
on 27 April 2012
I really enjoyed this book right until it ended abruptly. I honestly felt like the author had just given up. A dissapointing end to a very enjoyable read.
on 24 May 2016