Customer reviews

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 11 November 2012
As a home educator, spelling is subject I have to teach from scratch, and for some reason, spelling is rarely the strong suit of children taught at home. I would like to say being aware of this fact means that my son is just as strong in spelling as in any other subject - but he is not. He had been working at grade level - but this is by far his weakest study area. I have tried a very large number of different resources to improve his spelling, but up until now I had not seen much result. Working at an easy pace of one or two pages per school day, I honestly have seen a remarkable improvement in his spelling since we began using this book. He has started to spell very accurately and his confidence in writing has sky rocketed. We have not quite finished with this book, but I will most certainly be buying the next book in this series as he does complete it.

This book is all content. There are no extra illustrations, no stickers or any real attempt to dress this up. It is all in black and white print. It is very much school work. But it does include some puzzles to lighten things up. At 96 pages, this does cover a full years curriculum in this area. In addition to helping a child spell, I believe this would be a wonderful resource for improving reading scores as well. This book has a very strong phonics focus and really would help learn the various sounds if they have not already done so. Additionally, there is significant focus on high frequency words - the words that pop up most often in children's reading books. My son is pretty far ahead in reading so I don't think this made a huge difference in this department, but I will certainly be buying these books for my youngest as he starts reading as well. By learning to spell these words, they will also learn to read them. In addition to teaching phonics and spelling, children will also learn basic grammar through this book such as nouns,verbs, adverbs and adjectives; synonyms, homonyms and antonyms and much more.

I can't recommend this book strongly enough for home educating families. I would also recommend this for any child who is falling behind in reading or spelling at school, or who needs a bit of extra help with grammar. It isn't the most exciting book, but it one of the most useful I have found - and we have tried a very large number.
on 21 March 2017
Just what I needed
kids are enjoying do it
kids are enjoying it
kids love it
on 20 June 2017
Very good
on 6 September 2012
This book is really well designed. Each side of an A4 page is a new lesson/task, so your child can easily see an end-in-sight if they are not that excited about homework! Sometimes the page can take about 10 minutes, and sometimes a little longer. The book looks at alphabetical ordering, syllables, using phonics to help with more complicated words. Silent letters and pleurals are discussed. The book mainly teaches by the use of crosswords, wordsearches, and joining sounds by drawing lines creating larger words. My child doesn't see the book as a chore and has frequently asked to do a wordsearch from it, teaching him different nouns and verbs at the same time. An excellent book.
on 17 May 2013
My son is an English teacher living and working abroad with a young family. The children are bilingual but need extra help learning to read and write English whilst they are also learning to read and write their mother tongue at school. Good product, would recommend.
on 27 December 2014
I'm a home schooler and wanted something fun and engaging for my children aged 5 and 6 to use to develop their spelling. So far so good although a little basic to begin with it soon picks up and becomes more challenging. Sheets are photocopiable and the pictures make great colouring in sheets too.
on 19 March 2013
I use parts of this book for my more advanced reception class. Some good activity sheets to show how much they children have learnt and absorbed.