The Collins German Dictionary: Major New Edition Hardcover – 1 Jun 1999
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Publisher
Acclaimed for its comprehensive vocabulary coverage, Collins' top-of-the-range German Dictionary is the most authoritative and reliable German dictionary on the market. Drawing on the vast resources of Collins' multi-million-word language databanks, it provides the user with an incomparably accurate, up-to-date picture of how real German is used today.
While the specialised nature of some of the entries ensures that it will be the dictionary of choice for academics, university and higher level school students, and language professionals, there is much which any language learner will find accessible. The clear typography and uncluttered layout, for example, and the highlighted keyword features, provide the most user-friendly aid to translation possible. There is also help available for typical translation problems and detailed information about Germany and the German-speaking world in the form of extended cultural entries.
Complex entries and common lexical structures have been given in-depth treatment with special layouts, and pronunciation is clearly shown for both languages.
The Language In Use section shows hundreds of contemporary examples of how everyday German is used. It includes guidance on essay-writing and correspondence, and gives help in expressing yourself in a wide variety of situations, with categories such as "Likes, Dislikes and Preferences", "Comparisons" and "Obligation".
The combination of the German dictionary and the Language In Use supplement provides such a complete tool for language learning that satisfaction is guaranteed!
From the Back Cover
Covering all the vocabulary of current issues, with evidence drawn from Collins’ unique multi-million word databanks of contemporary German and English, the fourth edition also incorporates all of the changes from the recent German spelling reforms for up-to-the-minute accuracy.
• In-depth treatment of all areas of German and English
• Extensively-revised, based on evidence of Collins’ unique multi-million word databanks of 'real' English and German
• German spelling reforms fully incorporated
• Special entries on Germany and the German-speaking world
• Now the set German text for the Open University
Top Customer Reviews
1. This exhaustive dictionary embraces, on 1000 pages in either section, every register from formal officialese via the standard language right down to vulgar slang. But it is in the real-life language where Collins has the finger right on the pulse. Many word entries are awash with examples of usage/idioms/set phrases/proverbs as actually used by natives as well as their natural translations. (I wish there were a way to download all this information into my brain because I would be able to handle any situation in flying colours.)
2. Inclusion of German words like Kardanwelle, Rochade, das Pull-Down-Menü, Überlaufanzeige etc. indicate extensive coverage of specialist terms in many fields as well as loan-words from the 90s which now part of daily life.
3. The English section is equally impressive, listing e.g. cyberpet, establishing shot, trick or treat, decontextualize, nuclear reprocessing plant, memory expansion card, look-in, supergrass, wicked (UK slang). The word "go" and its associated phrasal verbs have an astounding range of translations.
4.Read more ›