on 20 June 2014
I have always bought Collin's French dictionaries over the years and this new edition doesn't disappoint as a resource for the French language today + clear fonts and solid grammar section - a great dictionary!.
on 29 May 2015
I agree with m v wallbank's main criticism of this book. It is perfectly good for quickly looking up a word, but if you like to spend more time on a page the binding makes it a real effort to keep the book open. The hardback Concise version is only an inch bigger in each dimension and has considerably more examples of word use - although fewer than those in the 1990 Concise to my surprise. For someone who enjoys exploring words rather than just getting a quick translation this may not be a good choice, but many will find its size attractive and more convenient. I think I will be getting an updated version of the Concise in the near future.
I finally had to abandon my collapsing dictionary (acquired in a second hand book shop near St Paul's in the Eighties). This has proven an excellent replacement marred only by the margins and binding being too tight so that some words vanish into the crevasse.
on 16 August 2014
A great and convenient aid for anyone looking to get back to re-learning a subject that has fallen foul of "use it or lose it"!
on 8 February 2016
As the title implies, its more than basic dictionary. Acquired in support for GCSE studies for which it is perfect. Apart from the vocabulary, it has many useful lists, groups of common items, and basic grammar help. A good buy.
on 16 November 2014
Combined with the Collins Verbs, Grammar and Vocubulary dictionery, this is an excellent product if you wish to learn intermediate/advanced French.
on 3 March 2016
Ok - the dictionary has arrived…. am I the only one confused by the fact that despite it having the same ISBN number and what appears to be the same content, the cover is completely different? Made me second guess myself as to whether I had actually ordered the wrong item for my son. Maybe Amazon should update the cover to a current profile….
on 13 January 2016
This is excellent value and comprehensive enough even for the fairly advanced student. Others have said that the binding is too tight resulting in some words being lost to view. I can not agree with that after using the dictionary for three weeks. The binding on my copy is fairly tight but does not obscure the wording.
on 4 January 2015
My criticism is not of the dictionary, which is as good as my worn-out former version, but of the binding which is dreadful. It is almost impossible to see the inside columns since the binding would rupture if the book were properly opened.
on 24 August 2014
A real bonus in this was a Complete(?) guide to French grammar which included some tenses I had never seen or even heard of (eg Past anterior!)
Very good Dictionary