This is the most comprehensive and authoritative English to Mandarin Chinese dictionary of its kind in print, with over 250,000 English words and phrases and nearly 500,000 Chinese translations. Written for advanced learners and professionals working with English and Mandarin Chinese, it includes the latest coverage of contemporary English.
This first edition celebrates a successful collaboration between the two well-known publishing houses of Collins and the Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press, together with an international team of linguists, and it continues a long tradition of excellence in lexicography. Both partners have mobilized their enormous documentary, lexicographical and textual resources to present this in-depth analysis of the latest developments in the English and Chinese languages.
• Includes up-to-date coverage of everyday and technical vocabulary, with particular focus on specialist terminology in the fields of medicine and science.
• Provides users with around 150,000 usage examples based on Collins 4.5 billion word corpus, showing English as it is actually used in context.
• Contains hundreds of extra features to help the user in gaining a fuller understanding of the language and culture: biographical entries referring to people across all walks of life; hundreds of encyclopaedic references with information about the most important events, customs and institutions in the United Kingdom and the United States.
• Comprehensive cultural notes cover all aspects of British and American life and culture, with additional cross-references to notes from other entries.
• Usage differences between British and American English clearly shown.
• Usage notes describe the most commonly-confused words in English.
• Phonetics are shown using the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA).
• Irregular inflected forms of English words shown in full.
• Chinese speakers can access an app with English audio.
A range of supplements include information on: Differences between British and American English, English Prefixes and Suffixes, Weights & Measures, Chemical Elements, UK Traditional Counties & US States, Books of the Bible.
Prefaces written by the esteemed Chinese linguist Professor Hu Zhuanglin and the acclaimed Professor of English Language, Professor Susan Hunston, University of Birmingham.