Collecting Art for Love, Money and More Hardcover – 29 Apr 2013
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
'impressive ... captur[es] the thrill of collecting'
'embraces the thrills, ups, downs and of course, advantageous aspects of collecting art ... Thea and Ethan Wagner are your authors and amidst entertaining anecdotes and experiences they've had as huge art collectors for three decades, they explain how to navigate the art market and access the world of galleries, auction houses, art fairs and biennales....definitely worth getting a copy ... a great read for those interested in art in all forms.'
'comprehensive ... rich with anecdotes ... a more diverting read than might be expected of a vade mecum to the art market. .. written in a conversational tone that suggests the authors are experienced in putting others at their ease. ... the authors are to be applauded for their efforts to demystify the process ... reassuring to any readers making their first steps towards buying art.'
The Art Newspaper, Frieze New York Daily Edition
'New York-based art advisers Thea Westreich Wagner and Ethan Wagner have made a career out of cutting through the hype. . .They've penned a comprehensive new book that looks at every facet of collecting from the adrenaline rush of discovery to the challenges of figuring out [what] will still be valuable in 2025.'
The Wall Street Journal
'A how-to book. . .from two of the sharpest eyes in contemporary art. . .It would be hard to imagine two better-qualified guides for these choppy, sometimes disgusting, often ecstatic waters.'
Jerry Saltz for New York Magazine
About the Author
Ethan Wagner's art interests go back more than two decades; he has collected art, published artists' books, and been involved with the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art and other art organizations. He now manages Art Advisory's business and financial practices and external communications, canvasses the international art market on behalf of clients, and publishes artists' books.
Thea Westreich Wagner worked for numerous years as a volunteer in the visual and performing arts. She founded Thea Westreich Art Advisory Services in 1982, and has advised private collectors throughout the United States and Europe. She has built a library of 13,000 volumes that underlies her firm's dedication to research and analysis. She also publishes artists' books.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Bravo! I loved the chatty insight into every nuance of purchasing contemporary art, from people who know this world inside out.
It's a super little, hardbook book, lot's of writing, interesting imagery and Phaidon-quality from start to finish.
I have been educated by reading this volume; what whimsy, bluff and money is stuffed into the shirts of contemporary art- a good book.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
"For avid collectors, visiting artists in their studios is an effective way to gain a deeper understanding of their praxis."
This caused me concern. Getting so involved with your artist, at this point shouldn't you really be getting him or her to a dentist straight away to get that praxis cleaned out, and sent home with a prescription for some anti-biotics? Though I now know why Professor Turner was always groaning, "Praxis! Praxis! Praxis!" at the end of every life-drawing session.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Guggenheim
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Hermitage
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Louvre
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Musee D'Orsay
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Museum of Modern Art (NY)
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > National Gallery & National Portrait Gallery (UK)
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Pompidou Centre
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Prado
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Tate Modern & Tate Gallery
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Uffizi
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Whitney Museum of American Art