Colour: Green|Style Name: Large|Change

on 19 April 2010
Call me a bargain hunter but I will scour every inch of the web and check every price and review before buying and this tent gets 6 out 5. The quality of the tent was the first thing that struck me when I opened the package, it bristled with strong fabric and the ground sheet was strong durable damp proof material. This tent is really a proper tent material. Next the ease of putting the three bars together and the attached instructions permanently part of the inside of the bag so you can never lose them, had me put the tent up first time in 4 mins, and after that I flew up in a minute or two once I knew how it went up. The inside comfortably will fit two adults and two kids for a spot of picnic and plenty room also for us to put the kids buggy in when she needed to sleep. The zip up front just gives us all that extra privacy that you might just need when you are leaving it alone or changing. Taking it down was instantly fast, and it packs away into a neat two foot long tubular bag that slings over your shoulder and more importantly why I bought it, fit in a suitcase when travelling by plane to a holiday destination. Trust me, this is a superb value for money and effective UV tent.
0Comment| 303 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 October 2012
We wanted a beach shelter which would stand up to the strong winds we often encounter on the beaches of Kos. This one seems to fit the bill very well although it has not yet been tried out on the beach.
A trial setting up went well and it was quite easy to discover how to do it even though we have never owned a similar shelter. It seems nice and sturdy and the collapsible poles seem easy enough to manipulate.
The relatively light weight means it should not incur luggage weight penalties. We shall no longer have to buy brollies and mats on our beach holidays as this shelter provides everything we want. It seems roomy enough for both of us - and we are fairly large adults!
After our recent holiday in Kos I can confirm that this beach shelter is an excellent product. A bit fiddly to put up initially we soon got used to the method and quickly increased our speed doing this. Similarly dismantling became easier as we gained practice.
An unexpected feature was the four pockets which could be filled with sand or rocks to weight the shelter - useful if very windy. We also discovered that if the wind changed direction moving the shelter around was simple.
We were caught in a one hour long thunderstorm with heavy rain and hail. We zipped up the groundsheet to form an enclosed tent and sat it out. It proved not completely waterproof in these very testing conditions, but at least we were sheltered from the worst of the weather.
Highly recommended.
review image review image
on 15 April 2015
This arrived today so we had a go at setting it up in the garden. Only took a few minutes to work it out and it's very large. Just what we needed as a beach shelter for two huskies and two kids!
It seems sturdy enough and is well made, the zip up front is very clever idea.
Can't wait to try it out on a sunny beach soon.
Just had our first proper use of this shelter. We set it up on a very windy beach and it worked fantastically well. We were sheltered from the wind and meant we could stay in beach longer as its only May.
review image
This has been one of the best summer purchases we have made. We (hubby and I) have a toddler and a baby and when we arranged to go camping recently I knew we would need somewhere for when we went out and about and down the to the local beach for them to sit safely in the shade without the risk of burning. There are several UV tents/beach shelters advertised and I took the time to research them before settling on this one.

The only thing that could make this shelter any better than it is is if it had an instant pop up function to it rather than having to mess around with the poles but even when taking into account the extra five minutes it takes to set up compared to other families I saw just 'popping' their tents/shelters up this wins against the others hands down. Why does it win? It wins because all of the pop up tents may flip up in a millisecond and fold easily but they are all tiny in comparison to this shelter which fitted our family of four in it very easily with ample room to spare. Even when at a garden party in the summer we had another two babies in there and another three adults sitting at the edges too to get in the shade and it comfortably accommodated all of us. When we went camping we used this tent as a changing tent for nappy changing as it meant our little ones were in the shade but also out of the main tent and also any smells were then not in the main tent too plus there was a lot more room to maneuver in the shelter than there was left in our tent. The tent/shelter has an extra sitting area that comes out from the main enclosed sort of part and this can be folded and zipped up to close the shelter over when not in use which we also found handy to put our stuff in when we were going off down the beach away from our stuff and it was then out of sight of any potential thieves. The shelter is very light and very easy to carry in it's carry bag and despite it being a bit more of an effort to put up than pop up versions it actually is very simple and once you have set it up a few times it is also very easy.

If you are looking for a UV tent for you and your little ones then this is the one to get as it fits the whole family along with the mountain of stuff you have to take with you when you go out and I would say that this has been a super investment for us.
This is an excellent beach shelter. It differs from the average beach shelter in that:
1. It is much larger (photo 1).
2. The groundsheet that extends out the front of the tent zips up, closing the tent (photos 2-3). This is a superb feature.
3. It has two guy ropes, which is handy if there is any wind.

My (very young) daughter uses the zipping up feature to use the tent as a changing tent.

I sat just off the groundsheet in the sun, with my daughter two feet away from me and fully in the shade. That is one of the things that makes it great to have.

The first time I erected it, it took me far too long. Having done it once, I am far faster. I suggest that you erect it at home the first time. The instructions are sewn into the drawstring bag (photos 5-6) but are not particularly helpful.

One problem with all pop-up tents is that they can take off in windy conditions. This can happen when your child climbs out of the tent – with no weight left inside the tent, you can find yourself running down the beach chasing your tent, shouting “Fenton! Fenton!” (if you don’t understand that, Google “Fenton the dog”). To reduce the risk of this, this tent has a pockets in the side which you can put sand etc. into (you can see two of them in photo 6).

There are three poles, with the sections of each pole held together with elastic (photo 7). One pole goes left-right and two shorter ones go front-back – you can see all three poles in photo 2. At the base, the poles slot into brass rings (photo 8) – this means that you can erect the tent on a hard surface. Metal ground stakes are provided, or you can use the pockets. There are also two guy ropes (visible in photos 1-3).

Many beach tents do not have guy ropes so people do not expect them and can trip over them – especially as the guy ropes on here are green, against a green background if using on grass. I draped a few items of clothing over them to try to prevent this. Obviously you only need to use the guy ropes if there is any wind but I have erected it in calm conditions only for it to get windy later.

TIP: Some tents are a pain in the neck to fit back into their bag. This one fits back in fine, providing you know how. You need to do two things:
• Before folding the tent up, place the bag next to the tent. Fold the tent so that it is just shorter than the bag (photo 9).
• Place the bag containing the poles on top of the tent and roll the tent around it (photo 10 shows me about to do this). This both causes the tent to be rolled tightly, and gets around the problem of trying to squeeze the poles into the bag after you’ve put the tent in which can be almost impossible (and risks damaging the tent).

The only thing left to put in the bag is the pegs, which I put in last. They fit in fine as they are small. The pegs are in their own thick bag (which should prevent them damaging the tent).

The final photo shows the carry bag with the tent, poles & pegs inside. It is light and easy to carry.

A great shelter.

A newer version of this tent is now available: Coleman Sundome FastPitch Beach Shelter - Blue. But this older one is excellent and half the price.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
on 8 May 2016
Thus was the best purchase I made before we went on holiday and fantastic on the beach. It really does not take that much time to put togther, just a case of threading the larger poll through the front of the shelter followed by two smaller polls to the width of it. There are four pockets you can fill with sand to hold it down, and guide robes that we didn't need due to the lack of wind on the beach when we used it on our holidays. The great thing is that you can zip the front up to completely seal yourself into the shelter to get changed, which helped when I got into and out of my wet suit. The quality of the material is great and I can't believe what I paid for it because it's RRP is worth every bit of it and I payed considerably lower, so absolutely chuffed with this purchase.
review image review image
on 15 August 2015
Not too difficult to erect once your used to it. This is a good size, We sit 2 people on chairs with a picnic table and there is still plenty of room. Good sun protection. Don't expect it to back in the supplied bag though.
on 23 July 2014
A really good quality robust shelter, ideal size for 2 adults and 2 kids. Easy to assemble (may be fun in windy conditions!!), first go took less than 5 min, 2nd go less than 3 Min. Packing away is even quicker, some comments re this item have suggested its difficult to put and/or put away....IT'S NOT, IT'S EASY, unless you are a complete idiot!!

As other comments suggest the largest pole forms the front arch (feed through guide sleeves) with its ends locating in the metal eyelets on the corner tabs and the two smaller poles run from the rear base up to top (again through guide sleeves) with the black plastic end locating in the two small black tabs at the front (pinch them and they open up)and the metal ends locate in the metal eyelets at the base as per those on the large front arch pole.

Oh, and.... yes it protects against UV rays.

Highly recommended.
on 22 August 2013
Took this with us to Greece to a secluded beach. It was just the job. So large I could lie at the back and have a sleep. This is super.
on 30 March 2010
The Coleman Sundome is the best beach shelter there is. I have no hesitation in recommending it. We bought it last year when it was in a blue colour, this year it is green.

We looked at various makes, all the different designs, and selected this to be the best. Why? It has a fully zippable front (the groundsheet bit) which enables you to have a changing room / toilet for the kids on the beach, or even for protection in a rain shower.

It's perfectly big enough for a few people to sit under. The materials are light and strong. The top canopy has a little overhang to give you maximum shade. The slots that the fiberglass poles slot into are well reinforced. (We tried the Millets deluxe shelter first and the poles ripped though the fabric, took it back and went for this one). The Coleman brand is trustworthy.

Last year's Blue version featured a little zipped opening in the back which allowed (a) a breeze though and (b) a view out the back to see what the kids were up to, so if you can find a blue one opt for it otherwise this new green one will do you nicely.
11 comment| 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse