on 7 May 2001
Within minutes of starting to read this collection, I found a wonderful poem and decided that this one poem alone was worth the price of the book.
Then I found another. And another. And so on.
The personality of this slightly disreputable poet shines through across the centuries. Sometimes self-pitying, but he never loses the sense of humour which, one senses, got him through the hard times.
Poem 10 will strike a chord with all poets and writers "Scribble, scribble, we wear out our brains... If our words were inscribed on biscuits, even the homeless dogs wouldn't deign to nibble.'!
Wonderful stuff!
on 17 October 2007
I don't know Chinese. I know a little about Chinese Buddhism. But Han-shan and Watson have made these poem's familar: it's our condition.

Each poem is a neat little eight line chunk. Nothing elaborate here, just simple poetry for our simpler side. Given all the bloated religious teachers and poets I've read, this is a refreshing change. Try to imagine how long it might take you to come up with a similar brief wise poem. Then consider Watson only translated 100 of Han-Shan's roughly 300 poems. How cold was that mountain?
on 8 January 2017
A lovely little book full of thought provoking poems. Whither he was a Buddhist or a Taoist no one knows. Whither he existed or not, or whither the poems were really written by him or by a collection of other people doesn't really matter.
As one of the poems suggests: "Paste them to a screen so that you can glance them over from time to time."