Customer reviews

on 21 August 2011
I never really use filters to protect my lenses. I'm a professional photographer - and I don't really go out in extreme conditions, so have never worried. I worry more about putting a cheap bit of glass in front of a very expensive lens and reducing its potential. However, I just bought a Canon 70-200mm f2.8 and the front glass on it is huge - and extremely close to the front rim. At £1800, I was just too scared to damage it or simply end up with my finger smearing it. So I looked at filters. B+W have always been top of their game. Their parent company Schneider Kreuznach have made some of the world's best lenses since I can remember. Used to always swear by their enlarger lenses. So after looking at the options - it appears most people simply cop out at the price and opt for a Hoya. I thought sod it and went for the best available. As you do not need UV filters anymore - because Digital cameras have them built in, went for the simple clear glass one. Not much you can say about the actual product, its a very clear bit of glass. Other difference I liked, from reading other reviews, is that this has a brass mount ring. That means that one day, if I ever want to remove it, it should come off. Normal aluminium rings will no doubt jam and you will then have problems getting them off. For the extra cost - I thought this well worth it.
on 22 August 2017
A lot of times people tend to go by brand loyalty between Hoya and B&W, and B&W has had a high-class reputation for many years. The B&W does have a brass surround, which doesn't bind on the lens thread, but, having said that, I nearly lost my B&W filter because it came loose at first. I was impressed with the dirt-shrugging qualities of the Hoya HD, with its 8 layers of coatings. Sometimes the dirt just blew away! I find with the B&W Nano that it stays clean, and occasionally needs just minor cleaning. It has 16 layers of coatings, 8 on each side. The new Hoya HD Nano has 32 layers of coatings, is more expensive, and, I expect, better than this one.
Neither the Hoya HD or the B&W Nano have a thread for another filter or screw-on hood on the outer rim: they do have a lip, an inner ridge which traps the threads of clip-on lens covers, as with the Nikon caps. Clip-on caps are no problem at all.
on 29 September 2016
I was so impressed with this filter I felt compelled to write a glowing review.
Its that good! Putting another piece of glass of any sort in front of your expensive lens you can only normally expect some degree of degradation! As I usually find with say UV and polarising filets etc. {I digress}. I popped this on my latest/new lens {I always fit a filter to a lens just as protection; lens glass is soft and can scratch easily, opps I digress again}. Took it out for some photo tests and wow I was totally impressed regarding the clarity, light through put and yes the overall quality. I was so impressed I bought another {from this supplier} for another lens I have.
Ok it cost’s a little moor but you get what you pay for.
on 6 October 2011
I have recently bought my first APS-C DSLR (a Pentax K-X), and I soon realized that I needed a specific protection filter for its lens, especially since I intended to use the camera for some ultra-close up shots, which can be really dangerous for any lens (since you can literally bump into your subject or its surroundings, while looking for the perfect framing, with the actual danger of cracking the precious front surface of the lens...).

I already had some old and cheap UV-filters for my 35-mm film camera already, but they were un-coated and totally useless, since digital camera sensors are already protected against UV rays, so these old filters just gave a purple/darker tint to the images shot with the new camera, introducing ugly flares and reflections on every shot including a front-facing direct light source.

So, initially I tried to find the cheapest _coated_ protection filter I could find, but soon I realized that most of the cheapest one were either un-coated, or their coating was negligible, according to the opinions of other Amazon buyers. So, in the end I decided to buy this one, even if it costed slightly more than most other ones, due to the good reputation of this brand, and to its specific and peculiar characteristics.

1) It is a _german-made_ "digital" filter, designed specifically for digital cameras, so no unwanted and useless "anti-UV" color casts or darker images;

2) It includes a _real_ anti-reflective coating, a feature I could verify as soon as I opened its package, by simply looking at the very dim, dark green reflections coming from its front surface (to explain what I mean, try to compare the mirror-like reflections produced by a cheaply-coated or uncoated piece of glass/filter and the dim green or blue reflections produced by good, coated prescription glasses, or simply those produced by any good coated camera lens front glass...)

3) It offers what the manufacturer calls XSPD mount, i.e. a _very_ thin mount that only leaves a minimal space between the back surface of the filter and the front surface of the lens, which is very important to avoid catching more reflected light rays between the two of them, and also reduces the total length/weight of the lens, especially if you are going to add more accessories/filters/converters/etc. in front of it;

4) It is clearly manufactured in a professional way: it is very sturdy, even if very thin, and the glass does not wobble/rotate at all inside the frame, something that often happens with cheaper filters;

5) It is packed in a nice and sturdy case including thick protective padding;

6) The threading is incredibly precise, and - even on such a thin ring - it allows to mount more filters/accessories/etc. on the front of the filter. Moreover, there is enough space on the front to allow easily the insertion of a lens cap with springed "hooks" inside the filter;

Considering that the price I paid for this filter, when I ordered it, was not excessively higher than the price of many sub-standard, no-quality, uncoated or falsely coated filter available, I consider it a real bargain, even if it just protects the lens and does not improve the image quality in any way: in my opinion, it is definitely preferable to invest a little more in an important accessory like this, rather than sparing a few pounds by choosing cheap ones, and risking to compromise the quality of ALL your shots with horrible reflections, think about it...

After all, optics is one of those fields in which cheaper is _never_ better, believe me!
on 10 January 2014
This filter, as you might expect from B+W, is built to a very high standard. The mount is made of brass and the MRC coating on the glass really helps reducing reflections and I did not notice any decrease in image quality. The mount of the filter is very slim so it should not cause vignetting on wide angle lenses. The coating is also supposed to repel dirt and water, though I've yet to see that. All in all, you really get what you pay for and in my opinion, this filter is absolutely worth the price.

It's also worth noting that it arrived in a ridiculously big box (25-30 cm cube shaped box!) which is an absolute waste of material since the manufacturer packaging is only about 7x7x1 cm!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 27 February 2013
In an effort to help those trying to decide whether these filters are really worth the money, the following is a list of my own impressions and conclusions:

PROS
+ Employs Schott glass (made by Schneider Krauznach), which is manufactured to a very high optical standard

+ Wide and shallow bezel - ideal with some wide-angle lenses, where vignetting could pose a problem

+ The filter benefits from an effective seven-layer MRC (Multi-Resistant Coating), with an additionally hardened eighth (Nano) outer layer: it's hydrophobic, doesn't smear when cleaned, and is reputed to be as hard as the glass it adheres to

+ Does nothing but protect the lens without impairing overall image quality (modern digital cameras do not require additional UV filtration)

CONS

- High purchase price compared to rivals

- The mounting rings are so modest that making them from brass doesn't provide much of a benefit over cheaper aluminium alternatives

- There are counterfeits in the marketplace, so try and purchase from a reputable source

In conclusion:
If you habitually use very wide-angle lenses (as wide as 17mm on a full-frame camera, or 10mm on an APS-C camera), and you want to minimise the impact of vignetting in your photos, this B+W 58mm XSPD filter could prove to be an essential purchase. If you don't use lenses that go wider than 24mm (full-frame) and 18mm (APS-C), I would suggest that you buy the B + W 58mm Clear Glass Filter Multi Resistant Coated version instead - which is optically just as good and has much more substantial brass mountings.
on 30 September 2012
For years I have always used "top of the range Hoya" but on upgrading my back-up camera to the Fuji X100 I discovered that I needed a clear glass protection filter and because I had paid so much for the x100 I thought that I would spend a bit extra on a filter. Wow what a difference,once on its almost invisible when looking at the from element of your lens and the brass fittings just move like silk. The one downside of using this type of filter is that unlike the Hoya's you can't really use a plastic lens cap with them for fear of marking the filter. Now I made a soft bag type cover for the x100 (best every ready case ever) to get around this problem and also because I hate conventional every ready cases (because they are never read) and the fact that the one made by Fuji for the x100 will not fir the camera if fitted with a protection filter (which it needs). The other thing which I noticed was that with the NANO Coating on the B&W, dust and bits were a lot less of a problem that with my Hoya's. I was so impressed with this observation that I went out and bought further B & W clear glass filters for all my Nikon Lenses and which to get around the not being able (or wanting) to use the plastic lens cap I store them all in Micro-fiber Pouches which you can either make yourself (or get the lady in your life to make) .Alternatively you could just buy Giottos Micro-fiber Cleaning Pouches as I did from the USA ( outdoorphotogear.com) at about $9 each (£6) and provided you limit yourself to under about £18 then there are not UK import taxes and Outdoorgear also have very reasonable postage and packaging rates.
on 7 June 2014
I am of the school that prefers to use a filter to protect my lens. I am not so keen on lens hoods (if flare is a problem I change position or use a screen ie my hand!). However I find the B+W (MRC Nano) and Hoya HD to be very similiar in terms of optical quality, compare either of them to a cheaper filter and you can easily see the optical benefits of a good Hoya / B+W filter. I usually buy the Hoya HD for cheaper lenses, the one downside to a premium B+W is the price. Yes, it's made of brass and the MRC nano coatings are so easy to keep clean, but they are expensive! So I only have them on my "best" lenses, especially the Canon L lenses that require a front filter for weather-sealing. Hoya HD filters have the edge on price, B+W have the edge on overall quality so it depends what you want/need at the end of day.
on 9 June 2014
There is very little on the market that can meet the quality of the B+W MRC Nano range of filters. But it does come at a higer cost compared to other brands. For many lenses the cost of a B+W is simply not worth it though. So I find myself buying the Hoya Pro-1 or HD range for lenses of lesser value or lower optically quality. This is where B+W lose one star in my opinion (look at 82mm filter prices.....). I do prefer the B+W filters though, but like many premium products sometimes it is hard to justify the cost. Dont get me wrong that Hoya is not of good quality, they have different attributes and an attribute in their favour is cost, A premium Hoya filter (HD range) is still a very good investment, especially if you prefer to protect or weatherseal your lenses.
on 16 March 2016
After investing in a very expensive lens (Nikon 16-80mm zoom) I wanted the best protective filter to put in front of the front element which would have the least effect on the visible image/result. As well as the clearest piece of glass, this is low profile and there is no detectable vignetting in the corners of an image at the wide end of the zoom. Unlike some cheaper filters this has not jammed on the mating thread of the lens and can be removed with ease.