Cloth and Clothing in Early Anglo-Saxon England: AD 450-700 (CBA Research Reports) Paperback – 1 Jul 2006
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
This archaeology study of Anglo-Saxon textiles and decoration is based on the first exhaustive study of dress evidence from early medieval cemeteries. The book focuses on both clothing and jewellery and seeks to establish an evidence-based re-evaluation of the wider cultural and social significance of dress in Anglo-Saxon England. The material brings together the author's own primary research and database findings, as well as broader historical and archaeological work on textiles, dress fasteners, and craft and production evidence from Britain and the Continent. The book will be fully illustrated with reconstruction drawings and detailed finds drawings.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
There were a couple of down points, such as the sparse information on girdle hangers such as the 'keys' and the crystal balls which came to less than a paragraph, and children, which came to nearly a page. A lot of material was needlessly concentrating on veils, at the cost of other important points. I find this surprising due to what is commonly found in woman's graves. Even the Fylfot brooches are ignored with the exception of one poorly executed illustration even though one appears on the front cover.
However, I did find this book very useful and even with some pieces missing I still feel it has much to offer both archaeologist and the reenactor.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
You start looking for one thing and get distracted by another.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Design Studies > Fashion
- Books > History > Archaeology > By Period
- Books > History > Archaeology > By Region
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Anglo-Saxon 500-1000
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Black Death
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Norman and Medieval 1001-1500
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Wars of the Roses
- Books > History > Europe > Vikings, Dark Ages, Medieval Europe 501-1500
- Books > History > World History > 501-1500
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Sociology