on 3 February 2015
One of the reasons I originally wanted to watch this was because of the eyelashes (don't laugh) when a male relative of mine said the lashes I wore reminded him of this film, and he freaked out. Well of course, one thing led to another as he told me about Clockwork Orange and I was curious about it back in 98' when it was still banned or at hard to get hold of over here, in UK.

BE CAREFUL READING ON DUE TO POSSIBLE SPOLER AND EVEN TRIGGER.
I am a huge fan of films containing extreme violence. (Yes I do know the difference between reality and fiction) There is a comical streak to this that makes it comforting to watch. Although some scenes should have made my skin crawl, I felt only sick at seeing Alex being spat on and am pleased I wasn't eating.
I haven't read the book but I certainly like this version. There are certain messages I can see that I believe gets overlooked.
Alex's need for power. Although I should have taken pleasure from seeing a rapist being punished, I couldn't help but empathise when he was being interrogated - because it is obvious what sparks his need for power. I know there are many different opinions over this so agree to disagree. But although it may not have been the intention by the author, too many overlook the male dominance over a younger, more vulnerable man, regardless of sexuality. It is actually the same with women and young girls. They create a monster and they don't want to deal with it in any other way than by hurting them more and degrading them.
The way Alex is treated throughout the entire film shows this pattern in behaviour so that it is hard to hate him, even after he commits such crimes. I'm not the type to excuse it but the sickening behaviour of the men around him (perhaps apart from the priest) disgusted me the most. I also wished his 'Droogs' had been given the payment too. Nobody made them join in.

This is a fantastic film! I'm not easily turned off by graphic violence that others find disturbing. I did expect worse, but was not disappointed. It is great escapism and insight. Such excellent acting by Malcolm McDowell. 5 stars!
2 people found this helpful
on 12 March 2018
This film was originally released and found controversy from day one. It is in places violent, disturbing and hard to follow. But it is Stanley Kubrick's masterpiece in direction and photography. It was years before it was released as a vhs, then DVD and many believed it never would be. But its still a classic and worth the effort of watching it. It shows how some thought the future might turn out to be. But it is fiction and holds up a mirror to those who thought so I enjoyed it at the cinema, then and now it remains a good film. Whichever way you look at it. Highly recommend.
on 16 October 2012
Stanley Kubrick's Clockwork Orange is a film I admire because it draws conflicting responses from me. On the one hand, it's an unpleasant viewing experience, not only due to the "ultra-violence" but also the story itself, which is so relentlessly about pain, torture, depravity, hypocrisy, and evil triumphing over good. The few characters who aren't bastards or hypocrites are either pathetic, like Alex's parents, or powerless, like the prison chaplain, who preaches about free will and choice but is shouted down by zealous bureaucrats. On the other hand, it's also beautiful, filled with surreal acting, fashions and decor which at times make it look like a Beatles film gone horribly wrong. It's intellectually stimulating too; it questions free will, and if good should be forced upon an evil person.
Alex (Malcom McDowell) is one of the most unlikable characters I've met. McDowell was a study in male beauty, but Alex is so repulsive that I felt strange fancying the actor, even though I knew he was just giving a performance. I think that's a compliment to his skills. Everything Alex says and does before his "treatment" drips with ugliness, even when he isn't attacking someone. He's cretinous, a vile worm. But the scientists who use him aren't spotless. Their experiments are sadistic, and the government funding them happily admit they don't care about the moral or philosophical ramifications.
Almost everyone with a position of power abuses it; Alex's social worker, for instance, gropes him and pulls his hair. The dystopia Kubrick creates feels less like a vision of the future than a hellish parallel universe, which shares some similarities with our world, but distorts and exaggerates them to an insane degree. Even with good parents, a nice home and pleasant food, Alex's evolution isn't too mysterious. Evil in this world is a readily accepted part of life. Notice how reluctant Alex's female victims are to open their doors, even when he besieges them with a cock and bull story about needing an ambulance. "Home" doesn't mean much. You're as safe in your living room as you are in a viaduct at midnight. Like all great satires A Clockwork Orange comments on our world by creating a new one which blows up its flaws so we can examine them. It's a film I prefer even to its source material, an excellent novel by Anthony Burgess which nonetheless doesn't go quite as far as Kubrick, whose cold and surreal approach is just right.
on 18 April 2014
With the benefit of forty years, one can assess whether anything is worthy of high praise or greatness.

Inarguably, it made its mark, merely by being withdrawn from distribution for a significant while.

One does wonder how this served to amplify the sinister over(and under)tones of the movie. What I mean by that is, well, the old 'in-and-out' is all the latest generation know about bedding, sexual preference changes following traumatic experiences is all the more common, and thuggery - well most people simply shrug their shoulders upon hearing accounts of it.

This movie is quite unlike The Shining, which was a screenplay heavy rewritten by Kubrick to document his personal trials. A Clockwork Orange is a film adaptation of Anthony Burgess' work that has imprinted the original's alloyed language to tremendous effect.

A film that depicted trauma, and in sharing it traumatised the audience? That's up for debate (but the affirmative camp has a strong case). A movie that contributed to Kubrick being The most revered director amongst directors...absolutely.
on 7 March 2016
A Clockwork Orange is a beautiful adaptation of the Anthony Burgess novel, directed by Stanley Kubrick, set in a strange dystopian British future, where everyone speaks the language of ‘Nadsat’. It revolves around the gruesome life of a troubled teen, Alex, played by Malcolm McDowell, a young man already involved in the acts of muggings, rape and murder, which is referred to in the film as ‘ultra-violence’. As a whole, Stanley Kubrick did an excellent job of turning the novel from Anthony Burgess into a film, with the gripping camera angles and cinematography. I will definitely be picking up a copy of the novel in the near future.
Alex and his ‘droogs’ (gang), Pete(Michael Tarn), Georgie(James Marcus) and Dim(Warren Clarke), are usually found in The Korova Milk Bar, sipping away on their ‘milk-plus’ (milk combined with drugs) before a heavy night out of ultra-violence. Alex leads his droogs to do horrible acts on others, which he is later arrested for. He is then rehabilitated and freed back into society as a non-violent individual, after being brain-washed to feel sick at the acts of violence and sex. He can also no longer listen to his favourite piece of music, the great 9th Symphony, written and composed by Ludwig van Beethoven. Alex later finds himself an outcast of not only his own peers, but of society as a whole.
A Clockwork Orange is not all about violence and rape, but really about free will. This is because after being brainwashed by the government, Alex is deprived of the free will he should be entitled to. The title refers to this. A man without free will is like a machine, hence the phrase ‘A Clockwork Orange’. All actors in this film really do lure you into believing they’re real individuals and not just characters of a great plotline, the director also helps with this belief with the well done direction and camera angles. Overall a great performance by the crew and no down-notes I have found, a must watch, if you have around 2 and a half hours of spare time.
Money well spent.
on 27 August 2015
Brilliant from start to finnish, my favourite kubrick film, it's just a shame ,but typical, that this is not available in the uk. The film is available in other formats, but this 40 year anniversary edition is not. You will need a multi region blue ray player to view this, and most likely need to import from the usa, but if you meet the above criteria this is the version you need, and want, its fantastic! .
2 people found this helpful
on 24 May 2012
This movie is much smarter than 99% of modern movies currently produced: there is super cop, no self-troubled anti-hero, no usual dilemma of should we use violence or not to solve the situation, no big computer or super smart paranoid organization which controls everything... The whole story shines by its originality, and nobody has dared to emulate the complexities of the storyline.
Violence.... I don't find it super shocking by nowadays standards, I personally feel much more shocked by hearing the testimony of the gang rapes in Bosnia, the child-soldiers in some African wars, the tortures in Middle East... Kubrick manages to even keep some dark humor in those, as they are all conducted in music and with some smart language.
Now raise your hands everyone who would vote yes to the Ludovico method: come'on, changing trouble criminals into docile workers, incapable of recidivism, at almost no cost or taxes? Who cares about "Subtleties over moral choices"... I will vote with my both hands!
on 14 May 2018
Watched this when it was released in the UK although I had read the book as I enjoy horror in both books and film and will willingly read any thing band as this film was . No I do not get off on the violence, I just want to know what all the fuss is about. I hate having things censored.
on 21 April 2018
Shocking in parts but that's the world we live in unfortunately , movie wise what can you say ? kubrik was a genius director his movies are still highly revered today that's testament enough to the man.
on 17 May 2014
This is a legendary film, definitely Kubrick's best, it has such a timeless quality about it aswell, it still feels as fresh to wacth in the present day as is did in the 70's, you definitly see how it has been a key inspiration for the great directors of today such as Tarantino, Tony Scott and Oliver Stone, to name a few, especially Natural Born Killers, its definitely an all-time classic and a key movie to have in your collection!!