Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 March 2015
Only half way through but can't put it down. Over 600 pages, excellently written by her daughter Mary. Having read "A Daughter's Tale" I was hungry for more about this famous and talented family. No one has more insight into the relationship between Sir Winston and Lady Churchill than Mary. Clementine gave her permission for this book including intimate letters, only to be published after her death. This is a true love story and we must be grateful for the support that never wavered from this stoic, intuitive woman. Lady Churchill was convinced of her husbands destiny and undeniable genius, and how right she was. A brilliant read.
on 1 March 2013
I enjoy Mary Soames writing tremendously. This is a masterful biography of her own mother Clementine Churchill.

The author succeeds in interweaving domestic life with national and international events at the time. It is very interesting to read of happenings in the Churchill circle while during the first half of the last century.

I had read Mary Soames' "A Daughter's Tale" and knew I would not be daunted by this more lengthy tome.
on 23 September 2016
Rather dull and boring... Not what I expected, but then again, what was I thinking? If I wrote about my mother, I would probably not reveal any spectacular family secrets either, nor would I know at all times what she was thinking or feeling. Mind you, I was not looking for some sentsational revelations, but I did feel there was too little focus on the psychological and emotional aspect of Clementine Churchill's life. After reading this book I feel no connection at all.
on 6 March 2015
this is an amazing book, so beautifully written, A wonderful insight of a woman who dedicated her life to her husband in every way , also her famly.... and the reason why Winston Churchill had that 'spine' to keep him going and to be the great man he was. A reflection of a wonderful marriage. Mary Soames has inherited her father's gift for writing. This book is part of history - everyone should read this book, learn a lot of things from it!
on 10 June 2017
Very readable book, well written & interesting
on 24 February 2015
Always useful to read biography by family member - quite good with some information I didn't know. She had such a long life humourously told. The author is Mary Soames.
on 31 December 2015
A lot of people have made the mistake of seeing Soames's work as a lot of rubbish about railway timetables but clever people like me, who speak loudly in restaurants, see it as a deliberate ambiguity and a plea for understanding in a mechanised ethos.
on 22 February 2015
I'm still reading it !! She had a very cloistered and privelidged upbringing but she made the most of life. Its a very interesting book
on 15 May 2015
A fascinating and factual insight into the lives of two great people from a daughter's perspective. A history worth reading.
on 31 May 2016
Bought this book for a female friend for her birthday. She has enjoyed the book very much.