on 30 September 2012
I gave her three tries, the first one was good the second one wasn't but I thought, well she might be having a bad day but no - after reading this - no more La Plante for me.

This was a fairly involved and gripping story and it says a lot for the storytelling skill of the writer that I stuck with it. It was over five hundred pages and quite honestly I think that the story occupied about 300 the rest was padding, repetition, info dumping and ranting about the criminal justice system, the probation service and illegal immigrants. Although much of this may be valid comment I don't think that it is honest to put so much into a work of fiction and push it at the reader.

Apart from all of that the editing was definitely flaky, there were missing words, words that should have been edited out and at one point we jumped from one setting to another without any of the characters moving a muscle - voodoo perhaps!? I would have thought that with the team at her disposal Ms La Plante would have ensured that the editing was spot on.

What a shame.
on 17 November 2007
Having read the two previous books was waiting for this book to come out and unlike the previous reviewers I wasn't disappointed and thought the story line good and couldn't put it down!! and hoping their paths cross in a future book!!
on 26 February 2008
Once again, Lynda La Plante gives a thoroughly gripping read. The characters jump to life and give the impression that you are part of the scene of investigations, and the police teams investigating the series of events. The storyline has topical issues, and some sinister practices. Overall, an excellent read.
on 27 November 2007
I have just finished reading this and I did enjoy it. I still think that Langton and Travis are a good read, with unexpected twists and turns with their on off affair. Believe the ending was maybe left a little open to follow on with the next book?? Ok story may be a little far fetched but hey I was reading to escape and to be entertained, so it did not disapppoint.

Unlike Martina Cole, La Plante still writes an enjoyable read!
on 4 September 2008
Having read a number of La Plante's books and enjoyed the strong feminine roles she creates, I found that this book had a weak plot with a racist streak - most of the black characters were evil or stupid. Marina Lewycka's 'Two Caravans' can be contrasted with this, she deals with the difficult issues of immigration and factory farming with a sense of humour and wit.
Illegal immigrants are often desperate but that does not mean that La Plante should not give them rounded characters which she tried to do for the other characters - however this book gave me a view of Lynda's character which was shocking.
on 13 July 2016
Having read a lot of long running series by different authors, I have noticed that at some point in the series - usually around the third or fourth book - the author will change things a little - the main character's personality will suddenly change or new characters will be introduced that haven't been mentioned before - presumably this is to keep our interest and help keep the series going. Unfortunately when this happens, it isn't always for the better.

I mention this because this is the third book in the Anna Travis series and I noticed a definite change in this book to the other two in the series. Whereas the other two books in the series tended to focus on one case with Anna working with her boss and on/off boyfriend, James Langton, as well as other characters who have become familiar like Barolli and Mike Lewis, this book starts off completely differently. The relationship with James which was very much on at the end of book 2 is now more or less off at the beginning of book 3 and Anna is working on a completely different case to James with other police officers who we have not met before.

The story itself I found difficult to follow, there were a lot of characters in the story and I found myself constantly getting confused as to who was whom amongst the bad guys. It tended to waffle on a bit as well, a lot of the book was taken up with James and Anna's relationship after James is attacked and quite frankly, it was a relief to reach the end of the book.

Hopefully this is just a one off and the next one I read will be better again, but I have to say I will not bother to read this one again. Disappointing.
on 8 July 2009
I do love a well-written, fast-paced, compelling detective thriller - and this certainly wasn't one of them. Despite La Plante's great reputation, I'd never read any of her books until now, and on the basis of this one, won't be trying any more. Whilst the plot itself could have been interesting, the writing style itself was extraordinarily simplistic and sub-standard - it was almost entirely "tell, not show". There was no sense of character other than that Langton was a bog-standard alpha male with emotional issues type 'Guv', yawn yawn; and that Anna was a bit of a lovelorn doormat. Every other character was entirely one-dimensional and seemed to be present in the book solely to provide stilted and forced dialogue. I also found it interesting that in the latter part of the book, the plot convolutions and the roles each villainous character had played in the various crimes, was summarised for us, at least three separate times. Was this because the writer thought it was too complex a plot or because she realised that anyone reading it might have fallen asleep by now? Overall, I get the sense that this was written specifically to be turned straight into a TV two-parter with lots of running around, not actually to be read.
on 13 April 2014
My first Lynda La Plante novel. Well written as I'd expect from an experienced author. But she tries to tap into social fears around immigration, the legal system, human rights, etc. in a constant and, in my own opinion, cheap way. The result is that it feels like I'm reading a copy of the daily mail. If you are a fan of being fed fearmongering then you'll lap up this novel but, for me, it lacks any kind of intellectual depth. I shan't be reading La Plante again and I returned this book for a refund.
on 5 September 2010
The unstoplable team of Langton & Travis returnjs for another thriller with more twists than a country lane. The action startrs with the drive to find the killers of a young prostitute. In the pursuit Langton is brutally attacked abd fights for his life! Travis steps in to nurse him back to health, putting a strain on their relationship. Anna is asigned to another horriffic murder case, but are the 2 linked? What part did the illegal immigrants the Krasniques play in events & who is the shadowy Cammora. Will all the loose ends link to suoly the answers?

Once again a real page turner!
on 15 March 2009
As Ms La Plante is new to me, I thought I'd give this one a go. The book is amateurish in its style with, for example, exclamation marks in the text (i.e. not dialogue). The plot is uninteresting, with not a sympathetic character in sight. I can't recall the last time I read a book and didn't care enough about a single character in it, all of whom are from some off-the-shelf guide to stereotypes. One policeman repeatedly gives vent to racist and anti-immigrant views that go largely unchallenged, to the point that I began to wonder how close the book came to incitement. I read it to the end so that I could say I had. I'll never read another. A truly dreadful book.