The product description gives brief synopses of these classic musical films. The Blu-ray presentations are first class, particularly South Pacific and Sound Of Music. I thought some additional information may be useful when considering purchase.
1) Chitty Chitty Bang Bang: Produced by Albert Broccoli. Songwriters Richard M. and Robert B. Sherman did the score. Screenplay by Roald Dahl based on an Ian Fleming children's book. Excellent cast (Dick Van Dyke, Sally Ann Howes, Lionel Jeffries) and production team. Songs include 'Me Ol' Bamboo', 'Toot Sweet', 'Hushabye Mountain', 'Truly Scrumptious' and the catchy title Oscar nominated title song. Choreography by Mark Breaux and Dee Dee Wood.
2) Sound Of Music: Production and direction by Robert Wise. Stunningly photographed by Ted McCord. Screenplay by Ernest Lehman. Cast includes Julie Andrews, Christopher Plummer, Peggy Wood. Songs by Rogers and Hammerstein include: 'The Sound of Music', 'Praeludium', 'Morning Hymn and Allelulia', 'Maria', 'I Have Confidence in Me, 'Sixteen Going On Seventeen', 'Climb Every Mountain, 'Lonely Goatherd', 'Do-Re-Mi', 'Something Good', 'Edelweiss', 'So Long Farewell and 'My Favourite Things'. Choreography by Marc Breaux and Dee Dee Wood.
3) Fiddler On The Roof: Director Norman Jewison, chorography by Tom Abbott, Robbins, and Sammy Bayes. Cast includes Topol, Norma Crane, Molly Picon and Rosalind Harris. Written by Joseph Stein. Score by Jerry Bock and Sheldon Harnick. Songs and numbers include 'Fiddler on the Roof', 'Tradition', 'Matchmaker, Matchmaker', 'If I Were A Rich Man', 'Sabbath Prayer', 'To Life', 'Sunrise, Sunrise', 'Do You Love Me?', 'Far From the Home I Love' and 'Anatevka'.
4) West Side Story: Co-directors Robert Wise and Robbins. Choreography by Jerome Robbins. Screenplay by Ernest Lehman. Cast includes Natalie Wood, Richard Beymer, Rita Moreno, Russ Tamblyn, George Chakiris, Ned Glass. Musical directors Saul Chaplin and Johnny Green, orchestration Sid Ramin and Irwin Kostal. Numbers include 'Prologue', 'Jet Song', 'Somethings Coming', 'Dance At The Gym', 'Maria', 'America', 'Tonight', 'I Feel Pretty', 'One Hand, One Heart', 'A Boy Like That', 'I Have a Love', 'Somewhere' and 'Roof Dance'.
5)South Pacific: Directed by Joshua Logan, screenplay by Paul Osborn adapted from two stories by James Michener's Tales of South Pacific (1947). Cast includes Mitzi Gaynor, Rosanno Brazzi, Juanita Hall, John Kerr, France Nuyen and Ray Walston. Music by Rodgers and Hammerstein (the latter wrote the stage script adapted by Osborn). Choreography by Leroy Prinz. Numbers include 'Dites-Moi', 'A Cockeyed Optimist', 'Twin Soliloquies', ' Some Enchanted Evening', 'Bloody Mary', 'There is Nothing Like a Dame', 'Bali Ha'i', 'I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Out Of My Hair', 'I'm In Love with a Wonderful Guy', 'Younger Than Springtime', 'Happy Talk', 'Honey Bun', 'You've Got To Be Careful Taught', 'This Nearly Was Mine' and 'My Girl Back Home'.
on 29 November 2014
This is fine for someone just starting out on musicals or those not bothered about extras, however if you buy The Sound of Music, South Pacific & West Side Story separately you get an extra blu ray of extras with each, this is what you miss with this set:
"Road Show" version of the film
Audio commentary by film historian Richard Barrios
"Passion, Prejudice and South Pacific: Creating An American Masterpiece" full-length documentary (94:05)
"Making Of South Pacific" original featurette (14:01)
"60 Minutes Exclusive: The Tales of the South Pacific" TV special with Diane Sawyer and writer James Michener (22:25)
"South Pacific on the Screen - A Perfect Hit" Fox Movietone News clip (1:20)
"State Department Confers High Honor on South Pacific" Fox Movietone News clip (0:52)
4 "Vintage Stage Excerpts" performed by original broadway stars Mary Martin and Ezio Pinza (9:38):
- "I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outa My Hair"
- "Some Enchanted Evening"
- "A Wonderful Guy"
Mitzi Gaynor screen test (6:51)
Theatrical trailer (2:43)
West Side Story
"A Place for Us: West Side Story's Legacy" documentary
- Play All (29:28)
- Creation and Innovation (15:09)
- A Timeless Vision (14:19)
"West Side Memories" documentary (55:55)
Storyboard to Film Comparison Montage (4:50)
- Play All (11:50)
- Original Theatrical Trailer (3:57)
- Original Issue Trailer (3:54)
- Reissue Trailer (3:58)
- Animated Trailer (2:04)
Sound of Music
- A City of Song -- Virtual Map of Filming Locations in Salzburg, Austria. Blending graphics, movie scenes, archival footage and high-def images, take the ultimate tour of this Austrian city to see locations used in the film along with places linked to the real von Trapp family.
- Musical Stages: Creating The Sound of Music -- All New Interactive "Backlot Tour" with In-Depth Featurettes on the Songs, the Stage Show & Movie, the Film and Sound Restoration and the Real-Life von Trapp Family
- Vintage Rodgers & Hammerstein and The Sound of Music Programs
- Screen Tests, Rare Treasures, Interviews, Photo Galleries & More!
(for full list see DVDCompare)