1,646
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 22 August 2012
The second book in Martin's epic focusses heavily on the disparate members of the Stark family and their Lannister enemies. It's a very political story which might disappoint those looking for endless battle scenes in their fantasy, though I found this to be a highlight as I love stories with complex plotting.

Martin's characters continue to be the highlight of his writing. Despite their status as enemies, the main characters whose points of view the reader is aligned with are incredibly likeable and I found it made for an excellent reading experience.

The narrative moves forward at a quick enough pace, presented as long chapters, each told from a different point of view to its neighbours. This is a perfect way of presenting such a wide-ranging story without it ever feeling that the reader has left any characters behind. Recapping of what occurred in the first book was covered in a very natural manner and I barely noticed - whether this means a reader who had skipped the first book would follow I cannot say.

I can find nothing bad to say about this book - I was surprised by how disappointed I was when it was over, and am looking forward to picking up book three.
on 7 April 2015
This is a book that rewards perseverance, I have tried time and time again to read this book, but it's been a tough one to crack. In part I blame my decision to continue watching the TV adaptation before completing this book and others in the series.
By the time I was halfway through I didn't want to put it down and was again enthralled.
If you struggled like I have I can only suggest to try it, try it again and persevere.
on 17 July 2015
Brilliant read. Enjoyed it even though I've seen the TV series. The books are quite complicated and I think having watched the series made it easier. The author must be a genius to keep all the strands working so well. Now reading the third in the series.
on 21 May 2017
Ordered for my brother and his wife to listen to on their way to spain, they were very happy with the set and the price!!!
on 31 May 2017
An amazing and engrossing read following the characters and the families from the first book
on 20 March 2017
when I saw the tv show I was amazed enough to buy the book. when I read the first page I was blown away and hooked at the same time. this novel goes down on my all time list and I recommend to all who appreciate detailed storytelling.
on 12 June 2017
Great product at great price.
on 20 May 2017