City of Gold: Biography of Bombay (Travel Library) Paperback – 28 May 1992
There is a newer edition of this item:
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Top Customer Reviews
The city rises against the backdrop of the history of the European and particularly the English presence throughout India. Ms. Tindall peels back the layers of dirt and grime to reveal the significance of landmarks -- Bombay is an archeological treasure but one that is contemporaneous with the history of the United States.
The author develops the story of the history through exploring a number of themes: arriving in Bombay, the physical characteristics and development of the land, the presence of women, the industrial age. City of Gold is variously a social history, a city planning/history study and a watercolor portrait that is sometime entertaining and amusing, and at other times wrenching.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Historical > Social & Urban History
- Books > History > Countries & Regions > Asia > India
- Books > History > Cultural History
- Books > History > Social & Economic History
- Books > Travel & Holiday > Countries & Regions > Asia > India
- Books > Travel & Holiday > Guidebook Series
- Books > Travel & Holiday > Speciality Travel > Photo Collections