on 22 August 2015
I am a huge fan of ecodrive watches - this is my second, bought specifically for swimming and sport, my other is still going strong with the added peace of mind of Citizen's five year warranty. Traditional battery powered watches have to be sent away to have the battery replaced or the water resistance cannot be maintained and the warrant will be void. This is expensive and inconvenient. Solar power makes this unnecessary as they run for ever for free so long as you don't leave them in a drawer for years. I reckon that what I save on battery replacement will pay for the watch in 3 years! Should also add that I am a woman - bought this because it is not too chunky and it looks absolutely fine on my wrist although I do have fairly large hands for a woman. If I had a gripe it would be that unlike my other watch this does not have perpetual date or atomic time (I'd gladly pay more for this because I will have to unscrew the crown to change the date/ time and eventually this may cause the screw thread on the crown to go - others have mentioned this and I've had other sports watches that have suffered this fate as they are no longer waterproof once this happens).
on 30 November 2016
I bought this watch in 2014. I am a professional diver, not a commercial diver but a SCUBA diving instructor. So I wasn't taking this watch down to the very limits of its depth range , I wasn't welding or moving heavy loads around underwater. I was diving in warm clear waters to a maximum depth of 30m/100ft. After a year of use, the watch stopped working. Even though I'd taken great care to rinse it of in fresh water after every dive.
I wasn't able to send it back to Citizen until I arrived back in the UK in 2016. After Citizen had looked at the watch, they told me water had got in. And they said water probably got through the crown (the button on the side of the watch for adjusting the date and time) And they told me the cost of repair would be £140, which is more than I originally paid for the watch brand new.
They said that I hadn't pushed the crown in which is why it let in water. Bare in mind I had taken the watch diving twice a day, six days a week for over a year and had no problems. So I couldn't understand how this would've happened. Obviously, if you've ever been SCUBA diving, you'll know it's a very kit orientated sport. You are always taking kit off and on again, carrying equipment to and from the boat, helping other people with their kit. And as an instructor, when I'm teaching, I'm taking things like teaching slates, S.M.B's and reels in and out of my B.C.D pocket. So maybe the crown got caught as I was doing any one of these things.
The point being, as a PROFESSIONAL divers watch as this is advertised, this shouldn't be an issue. If it's being marketed as a "Professional" divers watch then to my mind, this is obviously a design fault.
If you want too spend this amount on a nice dress watch that you can wear in the rain or swimming pool, then this watch is ideal. As for using it for actual diving, then I would suggest looking at watches made by companies such as SUUNTO, MARES, OCEANIC,etc that specialize in make diving equipment and watches.And therefore don't have design issues whereby you could possibly flood the watch, even if it was by accident.
After this watch stopped working I had to revert to using MY Casio G-Shock watch that I paid £40 for some 13yrs ago. It's done well over 2000 dives, has never given me any problems, still works today and I've never had to change the battery yet.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 13 January 2016
This is a beautiful watch. It's solar and will charge in any light from natural sun source to your bedside lamp. It's a great size, as so many watches now are ridiculously big, this one is just right. The time keeping is excellent in fact apart from daylight savings adjustment, I haven't had to adjust it at all. Very comfortable to wear and really easy face to read. Unless you're a collector, it's basically the only watch you'll ever need.
3 people found this helpful
on 10 June 2013
After one month the timekeeping has been faultless. The quality of the watch is very high and the elapsed time bezel is positive when set. Since the watch was bought for use whilst hill walking in all weathers rather than diving the strap was found to be rather bulky but was easily changed for a lighter looking design at little expense. My only comment would be the winder is a little fiddly to seat down after adjusting the time/date but not really a problem with a little care. A real positive watch feature is that having fully charged it in daylight it is claimed to be able to be stored for up 6 months stored in the dark before needing further light charging. So on hindsight would I buy it again? - Yes and would thoroughly recommend it.
on 5 January 2014
This is a nice watch, not too chunky, looks good and keeps time.

Eco-Drive is a must for waterproof watches. Quartz time pieces will eventually need a new battery and unless you're prepared to send your watch off to have the battery replaced and the watch properly pressure tested then there's no guarantee the watch will remain waterproof. With Eco-Drive there's no need for a battery change, so there's no risk to the watches weatherproof integrity.

Two flaws to this watch. 1: the glass does scratch pretty easily. 2: the crown on the watch is small and fiddly. I struggle to screw it back down after adjusting the time (lucky you only have to do this twice a year so I wouldn't let it put you off this watch).
on 11 June 2015
One piece solid case construction with no caseback. Rated to 300 metres. Fairly classic dial, ultra clear on the wrist and highly accurate. One way sixty click time lapse bezel, brilliant for timing anything not just a dive, I.e. a run, a drive, bank job etc. Pretty unbeatable price, cost in a jewellery or watch shop will run a lot more than on amazon.
800 or so of these were ordered by the royal navy according to an FOI request. Not sure how the RN found em but for your average joe you cant go wrong.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 8 December 2015
I bought the Aqualand watch when it came out in 1988 while working in Gr Cayman , for almost 25yrs it served me well only ever needing batteries and new straps ! Over 3,000 dives and 25yrs as a Head Chef it stayed on my wrist so after I was forced to retire it a few years ago ( sent it to official rep for new batteries but was sent back saying parts were no longer available ) it was well missed ! After an accident four and a half years ago my diving days may be finished but I decided to buy the watch for a Christmas present and 50th birthday present to myself !! I couldn't wait for it to arrive , when I put it on it was like being reunited with an old friend ! Here's to the next 25yrs !!!
|44 Comments|Report abuse
on 9 June 2014
Nice sized men's diver watch. Eco drive, so battery change is a non issue, at least for 10-15 years.Looks like it can take a beating too. One star was deducted by me because the crown is recessed into the case and the crown guards come out pretty far, making it very tough to set the date/time and then reseal the crown into the case because it screws back in to make the watch watertight. Aside from this issue it is a good watch if you have patience or else very thin fingers.
on 14 January 2014
Package arrived within four days of ordering, this also included the 1st and 2nd January obviously no post on these days. Very well packaged. The watch is simply great. Simple easy to read face and date. No fancy dials, alarms, stop watches or any other bits and bobs that get in the way of what its supposed to do. I bought my wife the ladies version last year and this is what made me buy the gents version. Good build quality although I have not tried it in water yet.
on 22 December 2015
fantastic build quality, battery should last at least 10 years.Small size therefore very comfortable on the wrist