- Save 10% on Books for Schools offered by Amazon.co.uk when you purchase 10 or more of the same book. Here's how (terms and conditions apply) Enter code SCHOOLS2016 at checkout. Here's how (terms and conditions apply)
Cisco LAN Switching (CCIE Professional Development) Hardcover – 26 Aug 1999
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
The most complete guide to Cisco Catalyst(r) switch network design, operation, and configuration
- Master key foundation topics such as high-speed LAN technologies, LAN segmentation, bridging, the Catalyst command-line environment, and VLANs
- Improve the performance of your campus network by utilizing effective Cisco Catalyst design, configuration, and troubleshooting techniques
- Benefit from the most comprehensive coverage of Spanning-Tree Protocol, including invaluable information on troubleshooting common Spanning Tree problems
- Master trunking concepts and applications, including ISL, 802.1Q, LANE, and MPOA
- Understand when and how to utilize Layer 3 switching techniques for maximum effect
- Understand Layer 2 and Layer 3 switching configuration with the Catalyst 6000 family, including coverage of the powerful MSFC Native IOS Mode
Cisco LAN Switchingprovides the most comprehensive coverage of the best methods for designing, utilizing, and deploying LAN switching devices and technologies in a modern campus network. Divided into six parts, this book takes you beyond basic switching concepts by providing an array of proven design models, practical implementation solutions, and troubleshooting strategies. Part I discusses important foundation issues that provide a context for the rest of the book, including Fast and Gigabit Ethernet, routing versus switching, the types of Layer 2 switching, the Catalyst command-line environment, and VLANs. Part II presents the most detailed discussion of Spanning-Tree Protocol in print, including common problems, troubleshooting, and enhancements, such as PortFast, UplinkFast, BackboneFast, and PVST+. Part III examines the critical issue of trunk connections, the links used to carry multiple VLANs through campus networks. Entire chapters are dedicated to LANE and MPOA. Part IV addresses advanced features, such as Layer 3 switching, VTP, and CGMP and IGMP. Part V covers real-world campus design and implementation issues, allowing you to benefit from the collective advice of many LAN switching experts. Part VI discusses issues specific to the Catalyst 6000/6500 family of switches, including the powerful Native IOS Mode of Layer 3 switching.
Several features in Cisco LAN Switchingare designed to reinforce concepts covered in the book and to help you prepare for the CCIE exam. In addition to the practical discussion of advanced switching issues, this book also contains case studies that highlight real-world design, implementation, and management issues, as well as chapter-ending review questions and exercises.
This book is part of the Cisco CCIE Professional Development Series from Cisco Press, which offers expert-level instruction on network design, deployment, and support methodologies to help networking professionals manage complex networks and prepare for CCIE exams.
About the Author
Kennedy Clark, CCIE No. 2175, is the founder of Remote Technology Solutions (RTS), a company that offers network-related products and services. RTS's main product is AutoVerify, a tool that allows real-time grading and feedback of hands-on labs in such fields as training, e-learning, and testing. Kennedy also works as a consultant specializing in network architecture and design. As a former certified Cisco Systems instructor, he was one of the original Catalyst instructors for Cisco. Over the years, Kennedy has taught a wide variety of switching classes and been involved in the design and implementation of many large, switched backbones.
Kevin Hamilton is a certified Cisco Systems instructor and is senior instructor for Riverstone Networks where he delivers courses and consults on network topics such as LAN switching, MPLS, and routing. Prior to Riverstone, Kevin was an instructor/consultant for Mentor Technologies (formerly Chesapeake Computer Consultants) where he focused on Catalyst, ATM, and network security technologies. Kevin obtained a degree in electrical engineering from Pennsylvania State University.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
a few other CCIE books before I start taking the CCNP exams, definitely worth it.
Foundational Issues - basics of switched networking
Spanning Tree - advanced spanning tree configurations
Trunking - LANE, and ATM
Advanced Features - Layer 3 switching, VTP and multicast services
Real-World Campus Design and Implementation - variety of network designs
Catalyst 6000 Technology - coverage of Catalyst 6500's
Appendix - Answers to end of chapterexercises
If you would like a preview before buying the real thing there is an excerpts book ISBN 1-58720-008-2 that lets you see more of the content.Enterprise campus design folio: Excerpts from the Cisco Press Book, Cisco LAN switching
Most Recent Customer Reviews
What a marvellous book. How is it possible to put such an highly technical subject across in such an enjoyable and enthusiastic (and yet still technical) way ? Read morePublished on 8 Nov. 2002 by Stephen
All I can say is that my jaw was open the whole time I read this book due to the sheer amount of quality information in this book and the way it is presented. Read morePublished on 2 Nov. 2001 by GG
Very good book you should order if you want very DETAILED information on these subjects : SPANNING TREE (150 pages! Read morePublished on 8 Jun. 2000
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computing & Internet > Certification > Exams > European Computer Driving Licence (ECDL)
- Books > Computing & Internet > Certification > Subjects > Cisco
- Books > Computing & Internet > Certification > Subjects > Networking
- Books > Computing & Internet > Computer Science > Information Systems
- Books > Computing & Internet > Digital Lifestyle > Online Shopping > Amazon
- Books > Computing & Internet > Networking & Security > Network Hardware
- Books > Computing & Internet > Networking & Security > Network Topics
- Books > Computing & Internet > Software & Graphics