- Also check our best rated Biography reviews
Ciano's Diary: 1937-1943 Paperback – 18 Apr 2002
|New from||Used from|
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
About the Author
Count Galeazzo Ciano was Mussolini's foreign minister and son-in-law. After several Axis defeats in 1942, Ciano became one of many Fascist proponents of a separate peace with the Allies. The suspicious Mussolini dismissed his entire Cabinet (Feb. 5, 1943), and Ciano was appointed ambassador to the Vatican. Nonetheless, Ciano and other leading Fascists retained enough power at the historic meeting of the Grand Council (July 24/25, 1943) to force Mussolini's resignation. When the new government was preparing charges of embezzling against him, the immensely rich Ciano fled Rome. He was captured by pro-Mussolini partisans and Germans in northern Italy. In 1944, on Mussolini's orders, he was brought to trial on a charge of treason, found guilty, and executed by a shot in the back.
Top Customer Reviews
And he says, 'It is quite certain that half the stuff I had read hadn't come from Ciano at all. Secretly I was rather impressed - who would have credited the British with so much guile.'
Frankly I found 1937 to 1939 a bit boring.It got much more interesting once the War started and very revealing concerning the German approach to Italy as an ally. Ciano's end seemed to come very quickly and being a Diary was not fully explained which frustrated me.
Not a book that I would refer to on any matter concerning WW2
a classic case of "wrong place wrong time" it makes one wonder what
he had written on the removed pages!
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta) (May include reviews from Early Reviewer Rewards Program)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Historical > 1901 Onwards
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Europe
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Italy
- Books > Biography > War & Espionage > World War II
- Books > History > Europe > Italy
- Books > History > Historical Study & Educational Resources > Essays, Journals, Letters & True Accounts
- Books > History > Military History > World War II 1939-1945 > Biographies & Memoirs
- Books > History > Military History > World War II 1939-1945 > Origins