The Church in Anglo-Saxon Society Hardcover – 20 Jan 2005
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
...a classic, frequently used and cited by students and scholars alike. (Early Medieval Europe)
This major book is likely to be the standard work on this subject for years to come...Encyclopaedic, fluently written and well illustrated, this book is a must. (Jeremy Knight Archaeology in Wales)
...an impressive study of the English church before the Norman Conquest which sheds much new light on its structures and place in society (Contemporary Review)
a powerful and compelling synthesis...Blair's skilful integration of archaeological and historical evidence is second to none. His synthesis and assessment of the most recent archaeological research conveys all the excitement of this fast unfolding field (John Nightingale, Magdalen College, Oxford)
This book is a major breakthrough in our understanding of English religious history. (Contemporary Review)
A comprehensive study...John Blair's eloquent presentation of the evidence will doubtless hold the field for a generation, and is likely to define debate for even longer. (Richard Gameson, TLS)
...it is a testament to Blair's skills as a writer and researcher that this book will be the first port of call for many years to come. (Martin Ryan, Landscape History, Vol. 28)
About the Author
John Blair has been a Fellow and Praelector in History at The Queen's College, Oxford, since 1981. His academic interests center on the history, archaeology, and landscape of medieval England, notably churches, settlements, and material culture. He is active in numerous organizations concerned with conservation, archaeology, and research.
Top customer reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Economics > History
- Books > History > Europe > Great Britain > England
- Books > History > Europe > Great Britain > The Plantaganets & Medieval England
- Books > History > Europe > Medieval
- Books > History > Historical Study & Educational Resources > Study & Teaching
- Books > History > World History > Slavery
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Christianity > Church History
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Christianity > History
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Religious Studies > History