Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Shop now Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 September 2008
What an interesting running book! Buy this book if you:

-would like to be able to run well into your old age
-would like to improve your running form and have fewer injuries
-would like to have a more philosophical approach to your running
-would like to increase your overall health

Here's how the book roughly pans out:

-Chapter 1: compares power running to ChiRunning
-Chapter 2: goes into the 5 principles upon which TaiChi and ChiRunning are based
-Chapter 3: gets into the "inner" skills of ChiRunning

As you can see, the first 3 chapters lay out the philosopical foundation- that's so when you get to the specific techniques, they make sense.

Chaper 4: learn about the ChiRunning "focuses"- which are the specific physical and mental methods used to run more efficiently.

Chapters 5-9: covers program development, peak performance training and diet. Note: Chapter 7 also covers some info on common injuries such as muscle cramps, plantar fasciitis (also rec. The 5-Minute Plantar Fasciitis Solution for more info on this), heel cord problems.

Chapter 10: how to incorporate the ChiRunning principles into your everyday life

As you can tell, ChiRunning, with its mind-body approach, is far from your typical book on running- and shouldn't be missed by any serious runner. Happy trails.
on 27 August 2011
I purchased this book out of interest for a holiday read, rather than to learn a new way of running. I have been running for over 20 years and could relate to many of the things that Danny highlights in his book. There are some good tips and pointers for people new to the running game - for example the use of your arms, focussing your mind whilst running and how to run hills, but I got a little distracted by his constant references to Chi and his way of holistic living. If you are an experienced club runner, you will probably learn very little from this book that you don't already know; however, if you are taking up running after a long break, or constantly suffer with running injuries then I suggest that this may be an interesting book for you to read. That said, do not take everything that he says too literally as what works for Danny may not necessary work for you. In sum, an interesting take on what works for Danny in his holistic world of Chi. A light read rather than a complete reference/study book.
on 6 July 2006
I read many books about running and this is the first I have encountered that seriously discusses running posture / style and the biomechanics of running from a practical viewpoint. Don't be scared by the title "Chi Running" - there is nothing supernatural about these techniques - in fact it is as natural as it can be! However, we need to re-learn HOW to run (like we did when we were kids!) - in an effortless way, free of injuries. Danny Dreyer guides you through a system where you use the core (and core muscles) in a more effective way through a forward body lean. The idea of effective body movement through the use of core muscles is also found in Terry Laughlin: "Total immersion" - a guide on swimming.

I won't go into more detail here - I will leave that to the author of "Chi Running"!

The book is filled with additional information on running, but the instruction on the running posture is what makes it so special and worth studying. I try to put the instructions into practise, step by step, and I feel it's working. My speed has improved and I am much more aware of keeping a proper technique through the races, which makes running long distances more enjoyable.

The instructor in my gym (professional sport instructor) borrowed the book and started running again after a long break - now he is free from previous injuries that prevented him from running.

For those of us who don't have a Chi-running instructor nearby, the video instruction is necessary. It should be included with the book.
0Comment| 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 May 2009
I initially thought this book/technique was great; but the more I learned about running the shallower it became...

1.high cadence, low impact, 'balanced' running
(reasonably well covered, but not exactly rocket science)
2. general stuff on diet, stretching, bio-mechanics
3.Shear joy and delight of running through nature (Good!)

1.trying to force all shapes and sizes to run in exactly the same style
2.his tedious 'can do' life story and anecdotes! (all a bit happy clappy)
3.tendency to stray into mystical pseudo science

I too get a sort of 'spiritual high' running through nature, which this book reflects the mood of pretty well. I have tho since read far more instructive books on bio-mechanics and Heart-rate monitor training. So a decent 'mood piece' for a new runner if you want to come from that angle, but ultimately not a lot of depth.
on 18 April 2014
When I started to run I looked for a book that would teaching running technique. Most of the books that I found were either motivational or concentrated on training schedules. In other words, I found most books on running useless because I was already motivated, and I already knew something about building up fitness from other sports. This book was a rare exception. Rather than telling you why to run, Dreyer tells you how to run. I found it great and the biomechanics seem sound. I was able to run longer after adopting the techniques, and I found it particularly good on climbing hills.

The only significant bad side to the book is that all the good sensible information on biomechanics is mixed with a lot of material of extremely questionable value on energy flow and mysticism. It makes the book tough reading for anyone who doesn't want a lesson on the power of Chi. However, I am not aware of a better book on running technique, and I would therefore encourage others to skip over the mysticism and instead concentrate on the parts that deal with running technique.
on 5 February 2009
I'll admit I'm sceptical by nature. I bought this knowing a fair bit about tai chi and martial arts but nothing about running. The style of the first three chapters are a bit cheesy New Age/American - but essentially I know what he is getting at.

The technique discussed is excellent - I was amazed at my improvement. I was able to cover longer distances without even getting out of breath. I am sure I haven't mastered it all yet but I genuinely improved my running after taking on the basics. Surpisingly highly recommended.
on 9 July 2011
Prior to reading this book I was having a lot of aches, pains and stiffness in my lower legs. Since adopting the form explained in this book my legs feel really good both during and after a run. The focuses that are used I have also found really useful to keep my mind in the positive. This in itself makes running easier as it stops the mind drifting into thinking about little twinges while running that get worse purely because I'm thinking about them. Highly recommended and not an expensive book so what is there to lose?
on 23 November 2007
I read the first half of the book while on a sports holiday, borrowed from a friend.

I applied a few of the principles explained in the book each afternoon finishing with a 10K race. To my entire surprise (since one of the principles proposed in the book is that aiming for a given time is external to the process of running, thus I duly dumped my sports watch) I bettered my previous best time by 6 minutes (from 56 minutes down to 50) and without feeling fully exhausted as I had done on my previous best.

I am not a spiritual person, so I skimmed through all the Chi stuff which is not my cup of tea, but the posture principles make sense, seem to be sound, and at least in my case seem to have worked.

The book was recommended to my friend by a personal trainer that swears by it. Also some of the running techniques are similar to others I have seen developed independently elsewhere.

Worth a try if like me you are stuck with your running objectives and need a simple clear guide to how to position your body while running.
on 6 February 2007
I had bought this book after reading that a top runner had used it successfully. If you at first study it and practise the techniques it will bring at the very least a more relaxing way to run. Dont get me wrong this is not a cure for all injuries but rather a system , which can be applied to other areas of your life , running aside. All in all , a good book with plenty of information , but please read thoroughly
on 16 October 2016
I am aware of what this book is about so guess it's to be expected , but it takes quite a bit of wading thorough the psychology of this method of running in order to find the physiology of it. However that said, the meditative approach has obvious benefits and I'm sure that as with total immersion freestyle, once it clicks, you'll be flying.

Definitely worth a looking at and despite what I said above - quite an easy read.