- Paperback: 256 pages
- Publisher: The Johns Hopkins University Press; revised edition edition (10 April 2000)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0801863368
- ISBN-13: 978-0801863363
- Product Dimensions: 24.8 x 17.5 x 1.9 cm
- Average Customer Review: 5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (5 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 1,692,098 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Chimpanzee Politics: Power and Sex among Apes Paperback – 10 Apr 2000
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Fascinating to read.(Amelie Koehler Ethology)
When I first read this book, I was in Dar es Salaam with Jane Goodall. I had just returned from observing chimpanzees for two weeks at Gombe. After the real life experience, I expected a book about chimpanzee behavior—and at a zoo, at that—to make rather dull reading. But I was in for a surprise. De Waal's Chimpanzee Politics is as much fun as a tree full of wild chimps.(Adrienne Zihlman American Journal of Primatology)
Chimpanzee Politics continues to be the same inspirational book that it was 25 years ago, essential reading for any young primatologist, and a highly recommended re-reading for the older hands!(Juan-Carlos Gómez Primate Eye 2008-01-00)
Even more enlightening than Machiavelli's The Prince, this book describes power takeovers and social organizations in a chimpanzee colony... I'll never look at academic or corporate politics the same way.(Jim Collins Inc.)
The best book ever written on the social life of apes in captivity... The author has that special empathetic insight into the mind of the chimpanzee which is shared by few but can somehow be recognized by many.(William McGrew Human Ethology Newsletter)
Schmoozing. Scheming. Consensus building. You won't glean these management techniques from any business text. But you can't run your company without them. Take it from the apes... The author demonstrates that chimps are, in the broadest sense, political.(Laurence Shames Business Month)
Precise but eminently readable and indeed exciting... This excellent book achieves the dual goal which eludes so many writers about animal behavior—it will both fascinate the non-specialist and be seen as an important contribution to science.(Robert Hinde Times Literary Supplement) See all Product Description
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Despite Newt's endorsement & diabolical use of this strategy, it's a very well written & instructive book, which I would highly recommend.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Behaviour
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Mammals > Apes & Monkeys
- Books > Science & Nature > Nature > Wild Animals
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Biology > Animal Sciences
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Anthropology > Social & Cultural